This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display TTG in KIP
Hi,  Am I correct in assuming that Time to Go has to be calculated and is not included in any NMEA sentence coming from Opencpn to SgnalK?  Can KIP calculate TTG and display it?  
Jodel
If OpenCPN calculates it, it should be able to send it back out to signalk through NMEA over TCP/IP. There's also a bunch of other ways to calculate it, like in some sort of SK plug-in. I thought the derived-data plugin calculated it, but it doesn't at this time. You could always use Node-Red to calculate it inside of SignalK using ETA and current time to calculate TTG.

As far as I know, KIP only displays data, you'll need to come up with TTG some other way. Derive-data does calculate ETA.
(2023-11-29, 04:17 AM)SCarns Wrote: If OpenCPN calculates it, it should be able to send it back out to signalk through NMEA over TCP/IP. There's also a bunch of other ways to calculate it, like in some sort of SK plug-in. I thought the derived-data plugin calculated it, but it doesn't at this time. You could always use Node-Red to calculate it inside of SignalK using ETA and current time to calculate TTG.

As far as I know, KIP only displays data, you'll need to come up with TTG some other way. Derive-data does calculate ETA.

Hi,
Thanks for the help.  I am not sure if there is a NMEA sentence for Time to Go or for ETA.  I'll check out the derived data plugin.   That seems useful. 
I suppose for manipulating data there is no escaping Node Red Smile 
I'll have to give it some time and learn how to use it properly.
Thanks again, Jodel
(2023-12-03, 01:16 PM)Jodel Wrote:
(2023-11-29, 04:17 AM)SCarns Wrote: If OpenCPN calculates it, it should be able to send it back out to signalk through NMEA over TCP/IP. There's also a bunch of other ways to calculate it, like in some sort of SK plug-in. I thought the derived-data plugin calculated it, but it doesn't at this time. You could always use Node-Red to calculate it inside of SignalK using ETA and current time to calculate TTG.

Hi,
Thanks for the help.  I am not sure if there is a NMEA sentence for Time to Go or for ETA.  I'll check out the derived data plugin.   That seems useful. 
Thanks again, Jodel

Derived Data does calculate it and sends out a SignalK value for navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.estimatedTimeOfArrival
(2023-12-06, 08:09 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2023-12-03, 01:16 PM)Jodel Wrote:

Hi,
Thanks again, Jodel

Derived Data does calculate it and sends out a SignalK value for navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.estimatedTimeOfArrival

Brilliant.  When I get back to the boat again I will install the derived data plug-in and experiment.  Thanks
(2023-12-06, 08:09 PM)Techstyle Wrote: Derived Data does calculate it and sends out a SignalK value for navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.estimatedTimeOfArrival

ETA, yes, but TTG, I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. Unless it's part of "Course DTG, XTE, BRG, etc (based on courseGreatCircle.nextPoint / previousPoint)". Perhaps I'll dig into Scott's code on GitHub and see if TTG is in there.
(2023-12-08, 01:58 AM)SCarns Wrote:
(2023-12-06, 08:09 PM)Techstyle Wrote: Derived Data does calculate it and sends out a SignalK value for navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.estimatedTimeOfArrival

ETA, yes, but TTG, I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. Unless it's part of "Course DTG, XTE, BRG, etc (based on courseGreatCircle.nextPoint / previousPoint)". Perhaps I'll dig into Scott's code on GitHub and see if TTG is in there.

I wrote the ETA calc code, if you define what you want I can add it?

it is just text so KIP doesn't handle it well, but it works.
(2023-12-08, 04:54 PM)Techstyle Wrote:

I have the plug-in installed and selected navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.estimatedTimeOfArrival

The SignalK data browser is showing the data but as the boat is on the marina, there is no SOG,  so data is just --
In Kip it does not appear in the drop down for the path but I typed it in manually.  However I did not realise that it was only txt and chose time.

It would be nice if Kip could display in addition to ETA at next waypoint also Time to go.  Similar for time to go to end of route and ETA there.
Thanks Jodel
(2023-12-08, 08:19 PM)Jodel Wrote:

I have the plug-in installed and selected navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.estimatedTimeOfArrival

The SignalK data browser is showing the data but as the boat is on the marina, there is no SOG,  so data is just --
In Kip it does not appear in the drop down for the path but I typed it in manually.  However I did not realise that it was only txt and chose time.

It would be nice if Kip could display in addition to ETA at next waypoint also Time to go.  Similar for time to go to end of route and ETA there.
Thanks Jodel

So:
Next Point
Time of Arrival at next Point (an actual time of arrival eg. 19:37)
Time to the next point (Hours remaning, eg. 8:52 - 8hrs and 52mins)

Route
Time of Arrival
Time to Arrival

is that what you were thinking?
(2023-12-08, 10:37 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2023-12-08, 08:19 PM)Jodel Wrote:

Thanks Jodel

So:
Next Point
Time of Arrival at next Point (an actual time of arrival eg. 19:37)
Time to the next point (Hours remaning, eg. 8:52 - 8hrs and 52mins)

Route
Time of Arrival
Time to Arrival

is that what you were thinking?

Exactly.  It is the kind of information, particularly in coastal cruising that is very nice to know.

Also I think that KIP does not display the Path of derived data in the drop downs when configuring the data to display.