This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Connections
(2023-12-29, 12:30 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Hydraulic drives vary.  Some have valves that use a clutch,  other systems use the hydraulic piston even in manual steering so the manual and autopilot pumps can be connected hydraulically in parallel.

Either way, backdriving hydraulics adds friction so my friend removes his hydraulic piston when manually steering.

As for the wheel drive:  It is a really good question.  Manual clutching is annoying.  It should be possible to hinge the motor to tension the belt, or possibly use an automotive A/C compressor clutch on the wiper motor shaft.  What do you think?  I also have considered the 3d printed pulley on the wheel mounted in such a way (with roller bearings) so that a clutch lever can engage there...

Sean,

The wheel pilots have a lever that can tension the belt when you want it engaged or disengaged.  That would be a possibility for me but my wheel shaft sticks out from under the seat and goes forward to the wheel.  This complicates the installation.  It is also at an angle, further complicating matters.  Automotive tensioners just get bolted in and usually have a spring, no lever.   Did you have a lever on the steel boat in the video?  

I have a wiper motor like the video and worm gear steering for rudder.  I would like to use an electric clutch but I am having trouble finding anything that will work with wiper motor and the a/c type have large pulleys.  I am thinking that this is a critical part of the install and I was hoping people would chime in about what their solutions were.

Messages In This Thread
Clutch Connections - by SVHM - 2023-12-13, 02:29 AM
RE: Clutch Connections - by seandepagnier - 2023-12-13, 08:16 PM
RE: Clutch Connections - by SVHM - 2023-12-28, 02:57 PM
RE: Clutch Connections - by ironman - 2023-12-28, 05:20 PM
RE: Clutch Connections - by SVHM - 2023-12-29, 02:54 AM
RE: Clutch Connections - by seandepagnier - 2023-12-29, 12:30 AM
RE: Clutch Connections - by SVHM - 2023-12-29, 01:11 AM
RE: Clutch Connections - by seandepagnier - 2024-01-01, 05:39 AM