This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 beta image
I am still attempting a final release for pi zero boards  (pi core 9)  after which I will shortly be moving to pi core 13.

https://pypilot.org/images/tinypilot_2023_12_22.img.xz

Please report any issues.   I intend to make the stable release without any new added features.
Hi Sean,

trying the beta. but first checking the behaviour of my pypilot with the version 0.24 - with this version I've got the message of compass or accelometer failure, then the program stop.

With the 0.43 (2023 beta image) I don't get the initial msg, but when I go to the calibration plot, I've got a msg "compass distorsions"

when oriented in the 4 cardinal direction (eg 90° rotations) I've got 228,203,223246 degre

Is the hardware the culprit ?

thx
Hi,

The message of compas distortion is also showing up on my calibration plot page. And what i understood from Sean, is that this meassage might not be an issue!?
Do the readings of the compass direction change fluently when rotating the imu?

regards,
Wouter

I've been testing this beta also. And I found that the standard gpio pins are not programmed in the hat.conf. And as the interface http://pypilot.io:33333/ didn't show the buttons when pressed, I modified the hat.conf in the terminal editor. This seem to work as the buttons are now mapped, and this is shown in the webinterface. The only thing now is that a button press seems to be lagging. I have to do a long press to activate the menu button, standby button etc. This is not so much an issue for the mentioned buttons. Howver, it is an issue for the +1 and -1 button. As this would trigger a +10 and -10 on the course adjustment. And not just -1 and +1 course adjustment.

Not sure what is going on there...

regards,
Wouter
Thanks for the feedback!

(2024-01-02, 03:30 PM)Elea Wrote: Hi Sean,

trying the beta. but first checking the behaviour of my pypilot with the version 0.24 - with this version I've got the message of compass or accelometer failure, then the program stop.

With the 0.43 (2023 beta image) I don't get the initial msg, but when I go to the calibration plot, I've got a msg "compass distorsions"

when oriented in the 4 cardinal direction (eg 90° rotations) I've got 228,203,223246 degre

Is the hardware the culprit ?
It appears you have not successfully calibrate the compass.  Check the calibration plot, and the compass offsets.   You may need to very slowly rotate it when the "boat" is level to gather enough data.   This usually happens if the boat turns in a 360, but may be difficult to do if you are rotating the sensors in your hand if you are not careful and there are distortions nearby of any kind.

(2024-01-02, 08:53 PM)Vic Wrote: Hi,

The message of compas distortion is also showing up on my calibration plot page. And what i understood from Sean, is that this meassage might not be an issue!?
It is really mostly just a warning, and it probably is too sensitive. I will look into this. It can usually be ignored provided the compass values reported are somewhat sensibe.
Quote:Do the readings of the compass direction change fluently when rotating the imu?

regards,
Wouter

I've been testing this beta also. And I found that the standard gpio pins are not programmed in the hat.conf. And as the interface http://pypilot.io:33333/ didn't show the buttons when pressed, I modified the hat.conf in the terminal editor. This seem to work as the buttons are now mapped, and this is shown in the webinterface. The only thing now is that a button press seems to be lagging. I have to do a long press to activate the menu button, standby button etc. This is not so much an issue for the mentioned buttons. Howver, it is an issue for the +1 and -1 button. As this would trigger a +10 and -10 on the course adjustment. And not just -1 and +1 course adjustment.

Not sure what is going on there...

regards,
Wouter
Is this mostly just an issue with the gpio pin buttons? I reworked a lot of this to (hopefully) reduce the lag times but mostly optimized remote control. I will test again the buttons to verify.
(2024-01-03, 03:36 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Is this mostly just an issue with the gpio pin buttons?    I reworked a lot of this to (hopefully) reduce the lag times but mostly optimized remote control.  I will test again the buttons to verify.

This lagging is only occuring wih the gpio buttons. The RF-remote control is very responsive. 

regards,
Wouter
I will have the gpio lag fixed shortly.
Hello Sean,

I went from version 0.24 to 0.41. 

I discovered the new gain profiles which are an excellent novelty but I had a lot of difficulty tuning the gains. I'm not sure I understand how to do this. Is the operating mode of the "pilot" configured with the profile or must it be chosen first? I must have done the setting incorrectly because the settings were getting stuck and I had to stop the browser and then restart it to be able to change the gains. Sometimes I only had four adjustment lines and I had to change everything to find them all. 

Can you add to the Wiki an explanation of how profiles and modes work and on how tu use them?

I also had some difficulty setting up the radio remote control. The keys were not always detected even though the blue indicator light came on. When a key press was detected, I had difficulty assigning a command to it. I got a message sometimes. But once the keys are configured, the operation of the remote control seems normal.

Thank you for your work and your help
Are you adjusting the gains using a touch screen or?

The profiles change lots of settings at once by changing the profile.

I'm going to try to upload the 0.44 image tomorrow. Hopefully you can try that one and see if there are any issues.
Hello
Thank you
I use an android tablet
How many settings are there per mode? (simple, basic, ...)
I have put a new image:

https://pypilot.org/images/