This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple GPS apps?
Hi there,

Is it possible for multiple apps to all use the stream from my GPS simultaneously?

I seem to keep getting random, short disconnects from both OCPN and also avnav.

I have it setup to send the Serial DATA to GPSD, then setup the GPSD connection to OCPN.

is it better to do it through SK?

Thanks
I am afraid you have not understood the philosophy of OpenPlotter. All data streams (NMEA2000, NMEA0183, I²C, Onewire etc.) go purely to SignalK. The SignalK multiplexes the whole thing and then makes data available to either OpenCPN or AvNav via the network (SignalK on port 3000).
(2024-01-14, 12:58 PM)BlackSea Wrote: I am afraid you have not understood the philosophy of OpenPlotter. All data streams (NMEA2000, NMEA0183, I²C, Onewire etc.) go purely to SignalK. The SignalK multiplexes the whole thing and then makes data available to either OpenCPN or AvNav via the network (SignalK on port 3000).

Sure, I understand this.

But again, If using GPS and sending it to SignalK, Only one source can read GPS data at any one time? Or can multiple sources read the data at the same time from the GPS?

Im trying to use 3 applications that require GPS simultanously instead of going and buying 3 different GPS receivers.

Thanks
Once more:
Signalk reads your GPS and OpenCPN/AvNav consumes from SignalK
Only one application can read from the GPS device.

Typically apps that use GPS have other options for accessing the nmea 0183 data than direct device access: tcp, udp or gpsd. Are these possible? Signal K can provide tcp and udp and you can configure gpsd to access the device and signalk to read from gpsd.
Gps connects to signalk. Opencpn et al connect to tcp port 10110. Connect as many programs as you want to this port.
All NMEA0183 data going into signalk gets sent out again by default on tcp port 10110.

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3.x.x/