This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD Card, size, boot sector and file storage imager partition
Hello, 

Believe I am experiencing a problem only noobs can have. 

1) 32GB card, format
2) Install 64bit image through RaspberryPi imager as per instructions
3) System works, boots and can customize.
4) Want to add additional charts on SD card only to find that the bootfs partition is 256MB
5) Disk management shows 29.47 GB Healthy (Primary Partition)

I have NO IDEA how/where to write chart data to. If I attempt to write to D, there is only 254MB remaining. The remaining (Primary Partition) does not have a drive letter. I have attempted erasing that partition (not D) and assigning a drive letter. This works and there are two drives on the SD card however then the PI will not boot.

Attempted making second partition A or E to see if there was an alphabetical boot sequence -> this did not work 

The Rasberry Pi Imager forces a partition on the SD card and makes the rest of the card inaccessible.

How do I format the SD card to allow additional chart storage accessible by OpenCPN?

Is there a step that I am missing somewhere or additional documentation?

Cheers,

Steve

Additional information:

When in file explorer of Pi, free space is indicated as 23.3Gb. So, the operating system on Raspberry understands there is room.

However when I remove the SD card and place into my PC to transfer the files from PC to SD card, only D: shows up and it has limited remaining storage space. (i.e. 256Mb)

To further clarify my question, how do I write from my PC into what appears to be a drive only accessible through the Linux OS?

Not sure if this makes sense or not.
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-...m-windows/
i use windows only when needed have it as a vm only things i use it for is a hdhomerun and my anycubic printer.
DiskInternals it what i used in the past.
Hello, 

Right -> like I said, steep part of the learning curve. 

PC and Linux mix like oil and water. It is not as simple as popping out SD card, putting it in PC and transferring files. 

To accomplish the transfer, I ended up using Filezilla.

See this to assist with install of Filezilla: https://linuxhint.com/transfer-files-ins...pberry-pi/

After that, it is pretty easy. REMEMBER!!!!! Enable SSH in Rasberry Pi Configuration or the data link will not happen.

It works. Happy that it does. That's 4 hours of my life I will never get back....lol.....rrrrrrrrr
oops i should have started with ssh.. that 4 hours of learning it will save you time later Smile