This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logging automatic bilge pump run times
I'd like to sense if an automatic bilge pump is running or not just using a voltage sensor but can't see how to. The pump gets fed 12v then an internal float switch turns the pump on/off when the water raises/falls. Voltage going to the pump doesn`t drop enough & the pump is sealed so no fitting another wire. 
Any ideas? 
Could do it with an ina219 but would like to keep it simple if possible. 

thnx
(2024-01-27, 02:24 PM)PaddyB Wrote: I'd like to sense if an automatic bilge pump is running or not just using a voltage sensor but can't see how to. The pump gets fed 12v then an internal float switch turns the pump on/off when the water raises/falls. Voltage going to the pump doesn`t drop enough & the pump is sealed so no fitting another wire. 
Any ideas? 

thnx

You could sense the current flow with a INA219. When the pump is not active there would be no current flow, and then when active you would see a current value.  You may have to remove the current shunt and fit something appropriate to the current. I think the hard part would be storing the events or converting it to something useful - like run time per hour or runs per hour. 

Let me know how you get on!
(2024-01-28, 03:36 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2024-01-27, 02:24 PM)PaddyB Wrote: I'd like to sense if an automatic bilge pump is running or not just using a voltage sensor but can't see how to. The pump gets fed 12v then an internal float switch turns the pump on/off when the water raises/falls. Voltage going to the pump doesn`t drop enough & the pump is sealed so no fitting another wire. 
Any ideas? 

thnx

You could sense the current flow with a INA219. When the pump is not active there would be no current flow, and then when active you would see a current value.  You may have to remove the current shunt and fit something appropriate to the current. I think the hard part would be storing the events or converting it to something useful - like run time per hour or runs per hour. 

storing the events would go straight into influxdb so should be OK I hope. got a handful of INA219's in a box somewhere & istr a 50A shunt but going to have play with a hall effect sensor chip first, might even get away with using an esp32 built in ADC thnx
(2024-01-28, 09:49 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 03:36 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
Any ideas? 

thnx

storing the events would go straight into influxdb so should be OK I hope. got a handful of INA219's in a box somewhere & istr a 50A shunt but going to have play with a hall effect sensor chip first, might even get away with using an esp32 built in ADC thnx

If you do choose to use INA219 and ESP32 my battery monitor code might help:
https://github.com/Techstyleuk/SensESP_3...ry_Monitor

or if you need one that broadcasts on NMEA2000 as well as SignlaK: 
https://github.com/Techstyleuk/SensESP-N...ry-Monitor
(2024-01-29, 03:02 PM)Techstyle Wrote: If you do choose to use INA219 and ESP32 my battery monitor code might help:
https://github.com/Techstyleuk/SensESP_3...ry_Monitor

or if you need one that broadcasts on NMEA2000 as well as SignlaK: 
https://github.com/Techstyleuk/SensESP-N...ry-Monitor

Thnx.
I've had an ina219 reading battery current before so that side should be OK.
Thinking just now and tending towards simpler but an INA219 might be worth installing to measure the voltage as well, the KIP could have a bilge pump is on/off box & check in grafana for voltage drop. And there are some onboard!

Enjoy watching the stuff you`ve been doing, keep it up  Cool