This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opencpn dataport connections
(I have a rpi 3, chartplotter 0.8.0)
(I'm not sure whether this is a open cpn or openchartplotter question - apologies if this is the wrong forum)

Baqsically, how do I get open cpn to use the input gps data properly?

I am using the default tcp 10110 connection from chartplotter and within opencpn I can view the messages coming in using the 'show NMEA debug window' in the opencpn|options|connections tab. 

How do I get opencpn to use the incoming ships position on the chart window????
(nb the satellite status (top right icon) is still shown as red rather than green).

(previously Ive used a serial gps input rather than a TCP Connection and it seemed ok!) 

Theres got to be something simple I've not done ('ive tried with both 'control checksum' ticked and unticked)

thanks
Sounds odd if nmea data is getting to the debug window - could you do a screen shot of the debug data?

This is what I get out of a garmin gps 128 (the WI*** sentences are from openplotter temperature & pressure) 

[Image: IvkMLAl.png]
(2017-05-30, 01:40 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Sounds odd if nmea data is getting to the debug window - could you do a screen shot of the debug data?

This is what I get out of a garmin gps 128 (the WI*** sentences are from openplotter temperature & pressure) 

[Image: IvkMLAl.png]

A screen shot is a bit difficult at the moment (the rpi is not connected to the internet!).
However, my nmea debug window is like yours except:
a)rather than 'TCP:192.168.43.97:1110' I have 'TCP:localhost:10110'    - Perhaps its using the 'localhost' string rather than the contents of the variable?
b)I'm using opencpn version 4.2.1706 -  the one that is on the 'noobs' 0.8.0 download - clearly not the same as yours
c) Also, pressing the 'pause' button on this pop up window doesn't achieve anything.
(2017-05-30, 02:22 PM)Alteredoutlook Wrote: A screen shot is a bit difficult at the moment (the rpi is not connected to the internet!).
a)rather than 'TCP:192.168.43.97:1110' I have 'TCP:localhost:10110'    - Perhaps its using the 'localhost' string rather than the contents of the variable?
b)I'm using opencpn version 4.2.1706 -  the one that is on the 'noobs' 0.8.0 download - clearly not the same as yours
c) Also, pressing the 'pause' button on this pop up window doesn't achieve anything.
Ah, apologies, the screenshot is from the laptop getting data from the Pi. I rarely use the Pi monitor but VNC into it from the laptop. 
This is from the Pi. Running v0.11.7, the nmea port addresses changed along the way. Opencpnv4.6.1.
If opencpn is getting valid data then can't help I'm afraid.....  Sad
So if you disconnect the serial port from openplotter nmea tab and connect it direct to opencpn it works?  Does the data in the opencpn inspector window look the same? 
Sounds odd....   Huh

[Image: h9jyIAe.png]
(2017-05-30, 02:48 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-05-30, 02:22 PM)Alteredoutlook Wrote: A screen shot is a bit difficult at the moment (the rpi is not connected to the internet!).
Ah, apologies, the screenshot is from the laptop getting data from the Pi. I rarely use the Pi monitor but VNC into it from the laptop. 
This is from the Pi. Running v0.11.7, the nmea port addresses changed along the way. Opencpnv4.6.1.
If opencpn is getting valid data then can't help I'm afraid.....  Sad
So if you disconnect the serial port from openplotter nmea tab and connect it direct to opencpn it works?  Does the data in the opencpn inspector window look the same? 
Sounds odd....   Huh

[Image: h9jyIAe.png]

Hi Paddy, 
thanks for the help!
I think its all about using an old version of both Chartplotter and Opencpn. As a noob I thought i'd try to use the 'production version' for its 'stability' but its obviously too old now! (> 1 year) and not worth digging too closely to find the cause of problems. When you do find any documentation etc it relates to more recent software; not to the production version. (as an ex IT professional I find this 'change control' problem very annoying )  - However, no one recommends a 'stable' version to use.  

How stable is your version? And do/would you use it on your boat?

regards
Dave
(2017-05-30, 03:24 PM)Alteredoutlook Wrote: Hi Paddy, 
thanks for the help!
I think its all about using an old version of both Chartplotter and Opencpn. As a noob I thought i'd try to use the 'production version' for its 'stability' but its obviously too old now! (> 1 year) and not worth digging too closely to find the cause of problems. When you do find any documentation etc it relates to more recent software; not to the production version. (as an ex IT professional I find this 'change control' problem very annoying )  - However, no one recommends a 'stable' version to use.  

regards
Dave

Hi Dave,  I'm happy with the latest version onboard, I live aboard so use it quite often moving from anchorages - not critical if it falls over and so far it's been fine day to day. Some bugs here and there and I can still crash it now and again fiddling but it seems stable when I'm not messing about. Big plus is there are update menus for openplotter, raspbian and opencpn/plugins so no more having to download new versions. All the latest documentation is centred around V0.11.* i think  so now might be a good time to bite the bullet and get it over with. Good luck Cool
(2017-05-30, 03:32 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
thanks for the help!

regards
Dave

Hi Dave,  I'm happy with the latest version onboard, I live aboard so use it quite often moving from anchorages - not critical if it falls over and so far it's been fine day to day. Some bugs here and there and I can still crash it now and again fiddling but it seems stable when I'm not messing about. Big plus is there are update menus for openplotter, raspbian and opencpn/plugins so no more having to download new versions. All the latest documentation is centred around V0.11.* i think  so now might be a good time to bite the bullet and get it over with. Good luck Cool
Great, I think I will. But how to? The only download I can find on the Git website is v0.10 alpha. Is it a case of using this and then using the update menus to get to the v0.11.*   ??
thanks for the help!

regards
Dave

Great, I think I will. But how to? The only download I can find on the Git website is v0.10 alpha. Is it a case of using this and then using the update menus to get to the v0.11.*   ??
[/quote]
Yeah, v10 is fine. I started afresh a week or 2 ago with the same download then ran all the updates from a menu in the openplotter window, easier than it used to be! Cool

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
As PaddyB recommended it would be better that you download and install 0.10.0 and update the beta from the "update" menu. This version is stable for normal things like opencpn and NMEA 0183 multiplexer. We will make this version stable soon. All documentation and support is now for 0.10.0 and not for 0.8.0 because lots of things have changed.

Thanks PaddyB.
(2017-05-30, 04:35 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
thanks for the help!

regards
Dave

Yeah, v10 is fine. I started afresh a week or 2 ago with the same download then ran all the updates from a menu in the openplotter window, easier than it used to be! Cool

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm on it now!