This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a 10 inch tablet for instrments
I have the newest beta of OP installed on my new to me Tanzer 26. I have decided to use a tablet in a water proof case as my instrument panel. Node Red and VNC. I will mount a water proof USB plug to power unit. As this is my first Sail boat i would like some advice from other users.
Sunlight readable tablet is a must there are a few on the market.
my OP system consist of RPI3 + pico UPS3 plus+ Sense hat and a 1Wire bus home made, USB puck GPS. every thing is working nicely.
Sunlight readable tablets are tough to find. You can find them sometimes by searching Alibaba, or even Ebay, but they won't be a brand you've hear of. The Samsung SM-T360N Galaxy Tab Active is advertised as being sunlight readable, so that might be an option for you, but it is only an 8 inch screen.

I suggest you use the (paid) Android version of OpenCPN and set up your OP system to wirelessly transmit the appropriate data to it. VNC is fine, but it can be a pain to do simple things sometimes on a touch pad.
i have no trouble sending data and node-red and vnc to an android device. I have a linux laptop that i have used though the whole dev testing process. with out issues. Samsung is the one i am thinking of. being color blind i will be using high contrast colors. i will also set up an 12v hdmi monitor for the chart table. Plus being an old school guy i believe that old paper charts/ compass.. etc is a mandatory requirement. I worked in forestry/ mineral exploration before GPS..

thanks for the advice i think i will try a few outside to see how readable they are before i buy.
(2017-05-31, 08:01 PM)ddelorme Wrote: i have no trouble sending data and node-red and vnc to an android device. I have a linux laptop that i have used though the whole dev testing process. with out issues. Samsung is the one i am thinking of. being color blind i will be using high contrast colors. i will also set up an 12v hdmi monitor for the chart table. Plus being an old school guy i believe that old paper charts/ compass.. etc is a mandatory requirement. I worked in forestry/ mineral exploration before GPS..

thanks for the advice i think i will try a few outside to see how readable they are before i buy.

Well tried the tablet no go cant see it outside and it can be a pain to use.
Hi all,
I have recentelijk set-up OP om my RPI 3 and after Some tinkering connected it to my Bluetooth GN 2000 GPS.
It all works fine and I am using an old iPad mini as a display through VNC (actually using the Screens app).
I mounted the iPad mini on a VESA flexible mount that is mounted inside at the side of the cabin entrance of my Friendship 22.
When I use it I turn the iPad into the cabin entrance and have it tilted a bit downwards. Even in direct sunlight from behind it is quite good visible.
I am now thinking of adding a Sense hat to display environmental conditions.