This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper motor
Hi Sean,

I see a video where you are using a wiper motor with some success.

However, I don't really see any chat about it on this forum, it's all about actuators.

Do you still feel that the wiper motor is something to pursue? Has anyone else tried it with success or failure? It would seem a good cheap option.

Thanks,
Nick
It is a good cheap solution, however consider also an electric power steering motor which is similar to a wiper motor but much more powerful. It depends on the boat. The wiper motor may be suitable for a belt drive to a steering wheel, however engage/disengage could be considered cumbersome without some sort of clutch. I am looking into potential solutions for this but there are trade-offs at every turn!