This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where should SK get magnetic variation from?
I'm trying to see if I can generate a true heading for OCPN somehow. 

I think one way should be to generate the full HDG NMEA 0183 sentence. This included fields for magnetic deviation and variation. There is Signal K key for magnetic variation but it is empty; or rather zero value. 

Another way would be to calculate true heading but we still need a source of variation (and ideally deviation). 

Where would/should Signal K get magnetic variation from? 

Am I missing something obvious?

RPi 3
OP 0.11.9a 

MPU9150
BME280
an RTC and some 1W temp sensors and a few switches and relays hanging of GPIOs
On OP 0.8.0 there were these options and we have still to adapt them to 0.10.0. Look at menu tools>calculate, there is an approach but is not working yet.

We calculate:
- Variation from date and position
- True heading from magnetic heading and variation
- Rate of turn from heading variation
- True wind from either STW or SOG

And we set accuracy controls

We generate signal k data but you will be able to convert to NMEA with NMEA generator.

All this is the next task, working on it
Something like this:

(2017-06-02, 06:15 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Something like this:

That looks like it will do the job .. thanks I look forward to trying it