This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MacArthur hat and pypilot motor controller
How to connect pypilot motor controller to the MacArthur hat? On the motor controller has +3.3V, tx, rx and gnd lines, I try to connect NMEA 0183 data flow. Is this possible at all or need to connect directly to the Rasperry pi?

I can't find any basic instructions anywhere, looks like documentation is before than MacArthur hat entered on market.
You have to connect the pypilot motor controller to UART0 using the Raspberry pin header. 

If you use UART0 for pypilot you can not use a MAIANA transponder or a dAISy HAT. If you need UART0 for one of these devices you can also use UART2 in Raspberry 4 (GPIO 0 and GPIO 1) or UART1 in Raspberry 5 (GPIO 0 and GPIO 1) for your pypilot controller.
(2024-03-04, 05:52 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You have to connect the pypilot motor controller to UART0 using the Raspberry pin header. 

If you use UART0 for pypilot you can not use a MAIANA transponder or a dAISy HAT. If you need UART0 for one of these devices you can also use UART2 in Raspberry 4 (GPIO 0 and GPIO 1) or UART1 in Raspberry 5 (GPIO 0 and GPIO 1) for your pypilot controller.

Thanks! Now it works with UART0!  

Btw. Pi 5 serial0 -> /dev/ttyAMA10 by default, need to add "dtparam=uart0_console" to the config.txt.
I think you need dtparam=uart0_console only if you want to use the new three-pin JST-SH connector in RPi5. If you needed that for using UART0 in pypilot, it could be because the pypilot code is not yet updated to RPi5.