This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Probem with OP as AP
Hi! I'm totally new to Open Plotter and have trouble setting up the plotter as AP. The problem is that when I click "set up open plotter" as an ap, and then want to choose "sharing internet service" then I have no alternative wlan1. What I get is "none, ehernet, wlan0". How can I fix this? Huh

When I'm not using OP as AP, I can connect to my wifi network at home without any problem.

Model: RPi 3
Version at: 0.11.8 alpha

//Patrik
(2017-06-03, 08:49 AM)Pkarl45 Wrote: Hi! I'm totally new to Open Plotter and have trouble setting up the plotter as AP. The problem is that when I click "set up open plotter" as an ap, and then want to choose "sharing internet service" then I have no alternative wlan1. What I get is "none, ehernet, wlan0". How can I fix this? Huh

When I'm not using OP as AP, I can connect to my wifi network at home without any problem.

//Patrik

Do you have a separate usb wifi dongle? To share wifi the Pi needs 2, the internal wifi chip can create the AP but it needs another one to talk to the wifi network where the internet is available. This will be wlan1.
I am having trouble with the AP configuration on the Alpha version too.

in 0.8 the AP worked perfectly, sharing either the ETH0 connection or the ETH1 ( Iphone connected via USB) to the internal WLAN0 on my pi3b

in all of the Alpha version from 10 ( to 10.9) the AP briefly appears in the wifi search of a nearby device before disappearing. No Error is reported.

not sure if this is the same problem, but thought i would add as it's AP related.

steve

UPDATE : i had only tried sharing the ETH0 connection with 11.9, have just tried connecting iphone. Via usb and sharing ETH1 IT WORKS!
Im typing this edit on ipad connected via wifi to pi, which is tethered to ipone via usb for internet.
So the issue seems to be with sharing ETH0 on 10 to 11.9.
(2017-06-03, 09:00 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-06-03, 08:49 AM)Pkarl45 Wrote: Hi! I'm totally new to Open Plotter and have trouble setting up the plotter as AP. The problem is that when I click "set up open plotter" as an ap, and then want to choose "sharing internet service" then I have no alternative wlan1. What I get is "none, ehernet, wlan0". How can I fix this? Huh

//Patrik

Do you have a separate usb wifi dongle? To share wifi the Pi needs 2, the internal wifi chip can create the AP but it needs another one to talk to the wifi network where the internet is available. This will be wlan1.

This is embaryssing... Blush No, I don't use a seperate wifi dongle. I tought it would work anyway. 

Anyway, thanks for the help.

//Patrik
If you are connecting to your home network you don't really need an AP too.

Just connect your devices, which are presumably connected to your home network too, to OP using the addresses and port numbers displayed on the righthand pane of the "WiFi AP" tab.

What is it that you are needing to connect to OP?
(2017-06-05, 12:04 PM)Littlechay Wrote: If you are connecting to your home network you don't really need an AP too.

Just connect your devices, which are presumably connected to your home network too, to OP using the addresses and port numbers displayed on the righthand pane of the "WiFi AP" tab.

What is it that you are needing to connect to OP?

Because I don't have any wifi router on my boat where I'm gonna use it. Things I want to connect, in the beginning, is: windinstruments (Raymarine) and autopilot (Raymarine)