This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi5, NVMe Base, OpenPlotter, MacArthur HAT - Build
Video 
This year, I've gone for a slightly different approach to my last build and stacked the setup. It consists of a Pi5, the active Pi cooler, NVMe base with a 500GB SSD, and MacArthur Hat with a power module all running on OP4. So why have I decided to use a stack instead of going down the case route as I did last time:
  • Cooling - In my last build on a Pi4, it didn't have any form of active cooling out of the box, and I figured the best way to do this was with an Argon case as that's basically a slab of aluminium with an active-controlled fan. This kept temps around 50-55 in my environment which I was more than happy with. However, on the Pi5, the board comes with a dedicated header for this and it's Pi Pi-controlled, less faff, and less to configure. The active cooler is maintaining the same temps for me on the Pi5.
  • SSD - The other reason to use the case was to add an SSD. I think this makes a big difference (Especially on the Pi4, less so on the Pi5), it is easier now with a dedicated header and relatively little cost. It also adds some degree of data security but you can take a view on that. My first Pi3 setup ran on an SD card and was fine.
  • Stackable - With the case I used last time, it wasn't possible to stack the HAT. It also used some of the same pins the HAT uses which was a reason I wanted to change my setup this year. I also dont see any issues running the Pi and Hat without a case, although if someone comes along from the forum that just encases it all, I might take a look at it.

Improvements
  • I think this is the best setup I've had so far, and I'll show more as the software moves to full production. It's very fast and with the HAT feels like a 'production setup'
  • The HAT is awesome, making your electronics in the early days was fun, but it just works and opens the platform up for more people.
  • O-Charts Dongle - I've added this to my setup so I dont assign my chart licences attached to the Pi. Allows me to play/break the setup a little more.

What's to come
  • Pi power usage
  • Data visualisation work
  • Node-Red
  • AvNav
  • Another ESP project? Wink

All the best and my thanks to the team for the work on the HAT & OP4.

Mat
Great video as usual, thanks!!!

The MacArthur storm has passed so I hope to be able to focus now on finishing OpenPlotter 4.

As some of you know, I also work as developer at o-charts and we strongly recommend the dongle because every day there are messages from people who have reinstalled OpenPlotter and lost their licenses. On Raspberry Pi, dongle or die.

I have the same setup for developing OP4 (RPi5+active cooler+SSD+MacArthur HAT+power module) and is the best setup I have never tested.
what did you use for the power module for the pi 5 and the MacArthur hat?
Just the standard power module that comes with the hat. Its running the Pi5, the Hat, my SSD, two USB dongles and a USB link I had to Victron kit. No issues so far.
(2024-03-15, 11:48 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Great video as usual, thanks!!!

The MacArthur storm has passed so I hope to be able to focus now on finishing OpenPlotter 4.

As some of you know, I also work as developer at o-charts and we strongly recommend the dongle because every day there are messages from people who have reinstalled OpenPlotter and lost their licenses. On Raspberry Pi, dongle or die.

I have the same setup for developing OP4 (RPi5+active cooler+SSD+MacArthur HAT+power module) and is the best setup I have never tested.

Smile Here too, same configuration, no problem!
This is a first Pi build for me, I've got the pi5 with active cooler, NVME base with SSD below and considering the MacArthur Hat with the power module. Do I need anything aside from the MacArthur hat to make this fit (for example, will the gpio pins from the MacArthur Hat reach the Pi5's gpio pins with the Pi5 Active Cooler installed? Thanks!
Hi, it comes with the standoffs and the GPIO extender so that it sits in the right place. The active fan is smaller than other hardware/sockets on the Pi board so you should be good to go. It’s a great setup, really pleased with mine.

Since that video, more of the software has been updated now so everything that was working on my old Pi4 setup is now running on this new one. Really stable and very fast!