This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot steals serial GPS from signalk
I disabled the other helper gpsd services but same result.
pypilot now says "gpsd failed to connect" but still exits on KeyError: 'speed'

@ironman's fix worked for me: I changed the GPS connection in SK from serial to gpsd, so now (I think?) SK and pypilot are both reading from gpsd and pypilot is reporting heading to SK.

Thanks for the assistance!
(2024-03-29, 03:41 PM)barnaclebill22 Wrote:
@ironman's fix worked for me: I changed the GPS connection in SK from serial to gpsd, so now (I think?) SK and pypilot are both reading from gpsd and pypilot is reporting heading to SK.

Does the nav data from the gps show up as signalk data? When I tried it the nmea data was getting passed through but not being converted to signalk. Maybe need another try.

Edit. Something weird going on, with GPS & GPSD connection in signalk, run pypilot with gpsd enabled, signalk loses GPS connection, no traffic showing in GPSD connection but opencpn gets position data over signalk somehow..
Think I'll leave GPSD off, don't need it.
(2024-03-28, 08:59 PM)PaddyB Wrote: On a plus I had pypilot running for real today, nice sail along the bottom of Gran Canaria to hide from some easterly winds in another anchorage - worked great! For so many years I've just had an aries windvane so this is a whole new world!!  Cool Cool Cool

Thanks for sharing this great moment and congratulations!
(2024-03-30, 10:15 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2024-03-29, 03:41 PM)barnaclebill22 Wrote: Edit. Something weird going on, with GPS & GPSD connection in signalk, run pypilot with gpsd enabled, signalk loses GPS connection, no traffic showing in GPSD connection but opencpn gets position data over signalk somehow..
Are you sure opencpn is getting position from signalk but there is no position data in signalk stream??  This makes no sense.

How did you get gpsd connection into signalk exactly?  (I am trying to figure this out)
(2024-03-29, 03:41 PM)barnaclebill22 Wrote:

Does the nav data from the gps show up as signalk data? When I tried it the nmea data was getting passed through but not being converted to signalk. Maybe need another try.

Edit. Something weird going on, with GPS & GPSD connection in signalk, run pypilot with gpsd enabled, signalk loses GPS connection, no traffic showing in GPSD connection but opencpn gets position data over signalk somehow..

Yes, it appears to be showing up as SK data.

Attached Files Image(s)

(2024-03-31, 03:43 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2024-03-29, 03:41 PM)barnaclebill22 Wrote: Edit. Something weird going on, with GPS & GPSD connection in signalk, run pypilot with gpsd enabled, signalk loses GPS connection, no traffic showing in GPSD connection but opencpn gets position data over signalk somehow..
Are you sure opencpn is getting position from signalk but there is no position data in signalk stream??  This makes no sense.

How did you get gpsd connection into signalk exactly?  (I am trying to figure this out)
Made no sense to me either. I renabled the 3 gpsd entries in systemd, set up a gpsd connection in signalk , started pypilot then the gps connection in signalk stopped- opencpn still had green bars receiving data but if i disabled signalk input in oencpn the green bars went red. But no position data coming into signalk in the data browser! Think it must something weird in my setup but it's all working fine so will leave it alone with gpsd disabled. 
Good thing is pypilot can steer the boat lots better than I can beating dead into the wind  Cool Cool

Is there an elegant way to turn it on/off without having a terminal running? I've changed RTIMULib.ini so systemd doesn't work.
Cheers

[Image: X3fu4o0.jpg]
If Forward NMEA is checked in the OpenCPN pypilot plugin, this is how OpenCPN could get its data: straight through pypilot. 'Forward NMEA' works in two directions... It might also come in through the 20220 port. What OpenCPN data connections do you have? Can you share the output of the NMEA debug window?
(2024-04-01, 10:38 AM)ironman Wrote: If Forward NMEA is checked in the OpenCPN pypilot plugin, this is how OpenCPN could get its data: straight through pypilot. 'Forward NMEA' works in two directions... It might also come in through the 20220 port. What OpenCPN data connections do you have? Can you share the output of the NMEA debug window?

20220 port & forward nmea were both off. No position nmea sentences coming in.  Lost interest now, gpsd is history  Big Grin
Hello,

I'm not quite sure if I have exactly the same issue with my GPS signal but lots of similarities anyway.

If I select "Enable IMU only"  then the GPS signal is read correctly into SignalK:

However immediately when I select "Enable Autopilot" the GPS signal is lost in SignalK with an error "Device or resource busy, cannot open /dev/ttyOP_gps":

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what should be checked?

Thanks!
It makes perfect sense to me; pypilot wakes the gpsd who then hijacks the gps. Solution: change signalk connection to gpsd, port 2947, as described here.