This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot steals serial GPS from signalk
I intended pypilot to be flexible to support any possible data configurations...

What you are probably experiencing is hotplug rules that kick off gpsd when a gps device is plugged in. In this case, pypilot is supposed to be smart enough to realize if a device is manage by gpsd, and not try to access it, but instead read gps from gpsd.

Yes pypilot could in theory directly read the gps, send it to signalk and signalk could send it out 10110. I dont think this is all that useful as pypilot would also send it out 20220. It is really up to the user, but maybe we need to determine what scenarios are not useful but are somehow occuring to try to prevent them?

Having signalk manage the gps is also a possibility, with pypilot getting the gps data directly from signalk, but it seems maybe you have pypiot set with a client socket to signalk nmea? This is also possible, but it should be possible for pypilot to get gps directly from signalk without it being converted to nmea.

I have always thought the most sensible solution is to have gpsd manage the gps. That way it will work even if the gps is set into binary mode (sirf) and will work regardless of if pypilot is running or not. I am not sure if signalk server manages this well, but it would be nice if it could also get gps from gpsd, and so in this way, the gps would work with or without signalk-server, and similarly for opencpn and so forth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pypilot steals serial GPS from signalk - by seandepagnier - 2024-03-26, 11:34 PM