This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect bluetooth GPS to OpenPlotter
I am trying to get GPS data to my Openplotter.

I am running open plotter 4 headless on a pi4. I have a "GLO 2" device from Garmin. It works great with my iPad. I'm trying to get it to work with the pi.

When I launch openplotter I am able to connect to the device through the bluetooth menu. After connecting I get a message "Pairing successful - this device has no services which can be sued with Raspberry Pi".

In OpenCPN I went into options, connections and chose "new connection" I selected serial. Under Dataport my choices are 
/dev/ttyusb0 - 091e -003
/dev/gps0 - link -> /dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyAMA0-
/dev/srial1 - link ->/dev/ttyAMA0
/dev/gps0

I tried a few of these. None worked. Specifically I tried the 2nd and last one because they had "gps" in them. 

I left other settings the same (baud 4800, name 0183....)

Nothing seems to happen. My location does not show up in OpenCPN.

Any suggestions? Is there another easy way to get location in? Maybe from an iPad/iPhone or even an android
Update: think I need to bind the gps device to a serial port.

I was able to run this command in terminal

rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm1 14:13:0B:C0:B0:BA

This appeared too work because when I then input "rfcomm" I got:
rfcomm1: 14:13:0B:C0:B0:BA channel 1 clean

But when I tried again to make a new connection, under dataport I did not see "rfcomm1" as an available port.
Update 2. I wrote to Garmin. I asked about connecting the Glo 2 to a Mac or to a Raspberry pi. They did not respond about the pi but said the Mac won't recognize it.

"I'm sorry, the Garmin GLO series sensors are not compatible with Mac computers and will not pair to them. However, the GLO sensor will pair with Apple compatible phones and tablets."
I think you need a plugin for this.
I did something similar for connecting a diesel heater with BLE controller

Here is a humble example for BLE connection and sending data to SK
https://github.com/Haimana/signalk-ble-heater
- SV Haimana