This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn off the boat's electronics but keep the Raspberry on
I have my NMEA2000 setup & running my chartplotter etc on my boat with it's own power supply.

When using the Power Module can the NMEA2000 use it's own power supply instead of the main switch on the MacArthur hat?? 

If so, does it have to be connected to the 12v SW or can I just leave it as is with just the two Can wires connected?

My Pi runs 24/7 but I only use the chartplotter when boating.

Also, I have a constant 13.2v peaking once per day to 14.6v - will this damage the power module or would it be best to use a converter to keep a steady 12v to the hat??
If I understand it correctly, you want to have your boat's electronics turned off but keep the Raspberry running. The connections in your case would be those in the diagram below. 12 SW has to always be connected to turn the Raspberry on/off.

By the way, this is a good use case when you have some kind of remote monitoring of your boat that we should add to the manuals. I have edited the tittle of your post to make the case more explicit, thanks.

The power module will work perfectly at constant 13.2V and it will withstand 14.6V peaks without problem. See this test: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....2#pid25512

This is exactly what I needed to know, Thanks you Sailoog!! Smile

Yes, I use the Pi for monitoring when I am away from the boat.
(2024-03-05, 12:56 PM)Sailoog Wrote: If I understand it correctly, you want to have your boat's electronics turned off but keep the Raspberry running. The connections in your case would be those in the diagram below. 12 SW has to always be connected to turn the Raspberry on/off.

By the way, this is a good use case when you have some kind of remote monitoring of your boat that we should add to the manuals. I have edited the tittle of your post to make the case more explicit, thanks.

The power module will work perfectly at constant 13.2V and it will withstand 14.6V peaks without problem. See this test: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....2#pid25512

nching i

Excuse my lack of understanding here. I've got the Mac Hat otw from Wegmatt and doing my first Pi electronics setup.

In the screenshot I've attached, what is the switch circled in green? Also, I'm assuming the one to the right of the "main switch" label is the main at the panel on the boat?

Sincerely appreciate all the help, threads, input, and work from the creators. Can only hope I can contribute in a meaningful way in the future. I've got a Peet Bros wind sensor working amazing with a custom PCB that deals with hardware debounce (my first pcb but it works!). Once I have it all set up on the boat (launching in a couple weeks) I'll share everything I've got.
  • Peet Bros Wind Sensor -> PCB for debounce -> ESP32 - Signal K
  • Throw in water level sensors -> Current-Voltage Converters - ESP32 - SignalK
  • M5 Stack Tough x2 (secondary displays for most systems on board, credit to BBN Marine for the software)
  • .STL Files for the case that supports all of the above plus NVME Base w/ SSD
  • 10.1" Touch Screen Display from Alibaba w/ 0-100% dimmer knob, waterproof connections, IP68

So happy I found this group, I couldn't have afforded to get this all and it's nice knowing that near every part is cheap to replace and easy to source.

Sorry, the post got carried away, I'll do a separate thread after it's all be tested on the water. Thanks again!

Attached Files Image(s)

(2024-04-28, 12:56 AM)AndyV Wrote: In the screenshot I've attached, what is the switch circled in green? Also, I'm assuming the one to the right of the "main switch" label is the main at the panel on the boat?

The switch you have circled in green is for shutting the Pi5 down safely - wire it as shown & follow the docs to set the GPIO pins.

Yes, the other main switch is your power supply from your panel.