This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help: MWV to VWR, Raymarine...
If you are using SignalK, you can use the nmea0183-to-nmea0183 plugin for this purpose.
(2021-03-19, 09:00 AM)Knoet Wrote: If you are using SignalK, you can use the nmea0183-to-nmea0183 plugin for this purpose.

Doesn't seem to work. Though the signalk-nmea0183 app does create and output  a VWR nmea sentence from a MWV input. 

<GREEN>10:13:24 (TCP:localhost:10110) $IIMWV,7.00,R,2.11,M,A*3B<0x0D><0x0A>
<GREEN>10:13:24 (TCP:localhost:10110) $IIVWR,7.00,R,4.10,N,2.11,M,7.59,K*42<0x0D><0x0A>
Excuse me, my answer was incomplete. In my setup, I use the signalk-to-nmea plugin to create a VWR message from signalK data, and the nmea-to-nmea plugin to send that to the right output.
(2021-03-19, 12:26 PM)Knoet Wrote: Excuse me, my answer was incomplete. In my setup, I use the signalk-to-nmea plugin to create a VWR message from signalK data, and the nmea-to-nmea plugin to send that to the right output.

Hi,

I see what you mean. It seems to be a hardware piece. I think I would not pay for it just to convert from MWV to VWR NMEA sentence. To centralize information as I said I have the  Quark QK-A031. I'ts just what I need as multiplexer and spread NMEA data through all instruments. It has a good relation functionality/price.

Just wonder if OpenCPN has a plugin to convert input NMEA data and then output it already converted. But at the same time it wolud be necessary to have the laptop always running. So I'll end up using Arduino to read from serial port the NMEA input from the Wind Vane and output it to the Autopilot as VWR. It won't be a complicated piece of coding, just a bit of character manipulation and the use of serial in and out. I think I even wont have to recalculate the Checksum as it only affects the payload. I'll go for that option and update the info in that thread if it ends up ok Big Grin

Kind regards,
(2021-03-19, 04:59 PM)Txalamar Wrote:  I think I even wont have to recalculate the Checksum 

Creating a valid checksum only a few lines >>

Code:
char checkSum(String theseChars) {
  char check = 0;
  // iterate over the string, XOR each byte with the total sum:
  for (int c = 0; c < theseChars.length(); c++) {
    check = char(check ^ theseChars.charAt(c));
  }
  // return the result
  return check;
}
Thanks for the function. You're right I'll have to recalculate the Checksum.
(2021-03-19, 04:59 PM)Txalamar Wrote:
(2021-03-19, 12:26 PM)Knoet Wrote: Excuse me, my answer was incomplete. In my setup, I use the signalk-to-nmea plugin to create a VWR message from signalK data, and the nmea-to-nmea plugin to send that to the right output.

I see what you mean. It seems to be a hardware piece.

Not exactly, the signalK server is software; although it runs on hardware of course Smile
As we are in the openplotter forum, I just assumed you were already running openplotter which includes a signalK server. I see now you're after a different solution.

Kind regards