This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BME680 driver accuracy
I've recently upgraded my BMP280 sensor (temperature and pressure) to a BME680 (temp, pressure, humidity and air quality). 

Since upgrading I've been struggling to get sensible readings. Humidity and air quality vary wildly, and even the temperature reading is way off. I've configured a temperature offset of -3.4 degrees, but even then the temperature goes up and down compared to the BMP280 sitting next to it.

The OpenPlotter app uses the Adafruit driver, but it seems that none of the open source drivers give accurate readings. The only accurate driver is the closed-source Bosch BSEC driver:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Cir.../issues/29

https://community.bosch-sensortec.com/t5...td-p/12399

I realise OpenPlotter is proudly open source, but I'd argue that accurate readings are equally important. Is there any way we could add an option to use the BSEC drivers in OpenPlotter?

Reading some more, it looks like the Bosch BME68x Sensor API is open source and provides the raw sensor values from the chip, and then the closed source BSEC driver provides calculated IAQ (air quality), temperature and humidity outside the device.

Would there be any advantage in using the Bosch sensor API instead of the Adafruit driver? Or does the Adafruit driver try to mimic some of the BSEC functionality?
It's frustrating to encounter accuracy issues with your BME680 sensor readings, especially after upgrading. Right?