This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No NMEA0183 input signal
Hi folks,

I’m new to the software and hardware stack but have been having great time far setting up all my boat devices.

I am unfortunately stuck, I’m on a Pi5 and aware that it does not have Seatalk support yet so I’ve jumped around this issue using a Raymarine Nautech 3015-059 A Seatalk interface that simply converts the signal to a NMEA0183 one. I connected and the lights started flickering showing that its receiving a signal. I then go through the process of enabling UART3 (UART5 is greyed out for some reason) restart and set up my connection and add to Signal K. 

When I go to Signal K I go to data connection and set up an input event name, wasnt sure if I needed to set up an output event but did anyway (there arent ant good tutorials explaining this step)

After that I rebooted the server and expected to see something in the Data browser but nothing… I see my connection in the connections activity in the dashboard but its only outputting not inputting.

The devices im trying to connect to are old Autohelm Wind and Speed devices ST50

I guess my question is what am I supposed to see after setting up my connection, something in tje data browser? This flickering green light on the Macarthur hat is taunting me.

Thanks so much!
Fey
The UARTs for the RPi5 differ from the RPi4. For the RPi5 use UART 2 and 4 instead.
G
Hi, thank you so much! After doing that the correct 2 devices (Wind and Speed) showed up I mistook some serial device on UART3 being my device.

I still cant seem to get anything in the data browser though, what is the correct way of setting up a NMEA0183 connection in SignalK? I set the baud rate to 4800 as its a converted Seatalk signal.

Im uncertain what to put in input and output event and what the data logging flag does
Hmm actually I did a test where I disconnect the cables and remove the connections and disable and re-enable UART 2 and 4 and what I thought was the devices was some other serial connections...

Explains why im not getting a signal.

Odd since I am getting a blinking signal light
Have to agree with you on the lack of good tutorials about setting up and managing events in Signal K. I have only started delving into RPis, Openplotter and OpenCPN in the last couple of weeks for the first time, so everyday is a school day for me.

My current setup avoids using Signal K, with the GPS, AIS and Seatalk converted data going directly to OpenCPN. I have filtered the outputs of OpenCPN, with GPS data going to the VHF radio on Port 1, and a selection of GPS sentences going out via Port 2 to the E85001 converter to my Seatalk instruments and the autopilot. I have also filtered the data coming in from the E85001 to prevent data loops. Using the data window under the Connections tab in OpenCPN I can see the data being received, transmitted and also that being dropped.

My next stage is to try and replicate all this through Signal K.
Regarding the activity LED: Is it typically off and intermittently blinking, or is it typically on and intermittently going dark? If the latter, try swapping the the NMEA +/- wires.
(2024-04-26, 04:02 AM)Adrian Wrote: Regarding the activity LED: Is it typically off and intermittently blinking, or is it typically on and intermittently going dark? If the latter, try swapping the the NMEA +/- wires.

Hi, thanks for the response, its typically off and intermittently blinking, swapping it returns no light at all
(2024-04-26, 10:52 PM)feysky Wrote: Hi, thanks for the response, its typically off and intermittently blinking, swapping it returns no light at all

Sounds like the first orientation was correct, with the LED being off while the bus is idle. But as you don't get any LED action when swapping the wires, I'd double-check the wiring. NMEA 0183 is differential, so swapping +/- should invert the LED action.

Also make sure that you have the correct speed configured for the NMEA serial connection in OpenPlotter. It may run at 4800 or 38400. Unfortunately, the manual for the Raymarine E85001 that I found online is pretty sparse.