This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N2K/SeaTalk powered when Pi isn’t
Hi all, 

Thank you for all the work which has gone into this system! 

Is the N2K input tolerant of the N2K network being powered when the Pi/McAurthur has isn’t? Or will it cause damage doing this? 

Same for the SeaTalk input

Thank you
No problem with keeping N2K and Seatalk running while The Pi and MacArthur are powered down.

The only thing I'd recommend, is to make sure that GND stays connected.
(2024-06-08, 07:14 AM)Adrian Wrote: No problem with keeping N2K and Seatalk running while The Pi and MacArthur are powered down.

Hi Adrian, thank you for the quick reply! Ok great, and I’ll make sure the ground is still connected! 

Kindest regards

(2024-06-08, 07:14 AM)Adrian Wrote: No problem with keeping N2K and Seatalk running while The Pi and MacArthur are powered down.

Sorry to come back again, I have tried to attach a photo showing my proposed wiring. I would like to keep the NMEA, ST, and Pi separate in terms of having different bits powered up but not always all of it. So powered down the Pi would have ST data and GND but no power, and I'm assuming the SW 12v is sufficient for the ST input to work should both parts be powered. 

Thank you
(2024-06-10, 05:14 PM)WT380 Wrote: Sorry to come back again, I have tried to attach a photo showing my proposed wiring. I would like to keep the NMEA, ST, and Pi separate in terms of having different bits powered up but not always all of it. So powered down the Pi would have ST data and GND but no power, and I'm assuming the SW 12v is sufficient for the ST input to work should both parts be powered. 

Thank you

Yes, I think that should work as expected.
(2024-06-11, 11:15 PM)Adrian Wrote:
(2024-06-10, 05:14 PM)WT380 Wrote: Sorry to come back again, I have tried to attach a photo showing my proposed wiring. I would like to keep the NMEA, ST, and Pi separate in terms of having different bits powered up but not always all of it. So powered down the Pi would have ST data and GND but no power, and I'm assuming the SW 12v is sufficient for the ST input to work should both parts be powered. 

Thank you

Yes, I think that should work as expected.

Thank you!