This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I control my AH800 wirelessly
A bit of history. I have an old AH800 which I have just replaced with a simrad tp10.
The AH 800 was dying but the motor still works fine. I had the idea of replacing the electronics with
a pi zero 2 w and a motor controller- driver board. I have just ordered them from amazon.
Just realised I don't have a clue how to connect them up so that I could control it.
I have a rpi4 with a daisy hat supplying AIS and a GPS receiver. I use signalk to send
to my android tablet running Navionics app.

Anybody got any ideas.

I would assume I should use pypilot but should it be running on the pi zero or on the signalk server.

help

Mick
(2024-07-04, 02:08 PM)mcgarrydware Wrote: A bit of history. I have an old AH800 which I have just replaced with a simrad tp10.
The AH 800 was dying but the motor still works fine. I had the idea of replacing the electronics with
a pi zero 2 w and a motor controller- driver board. I have just ordered them from amazon.
Just realised I don't have a clue how to connect them up so that I could control it.
I have a rpi4 with a daisy hat supplying AIS and a GPS receiver. I use signalk to send
to my android tablet running Navionics app.

Anybody got any ideas.

I would assume I should use pypilot but should it be running on the pi zero or on the signalk server.

help

Mick

If you are running openplotter then might be easiest just to run Pypilot on the Pi4, click of a mouse to install in openplotter settings. You'll need one of these compasses > https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/icm20...3993960531 and an Arduino plus the motor controller. 
 Then Pypilot on the Pi4 talks to an Arduino which tells the motor controller what to do. Well worth doing imho, I've just started using mine for real steering on a passage from Madeira to Portugal, worked perfect but downside is it showed just how bad I am at steering  Big Grin