This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TCP In/Out Connection for Autopilot
Hello All, 

I'm exploring OpenPlotter and it's capabilities. It really is impressive what already has been achieved. Unfortunatly I'm running into a problem with my nav-setup onboard.
All NMEA 183 and Seatalk data  is converted and multiplexed by a RM Seatalk Converter and a Miniplex 2USB and its output is fed into an RS422 to TCPIP server. This server is connected to a 3G wifi-router. 

Connecting the RPi OpenPlotter to this 422/Enet server [instead of the wifi-router] works fine and all data shows up in OpenCPN. The second step was configuring the OPenCPN output  to the server to control the autopilot. This is not possible at the moment because OpenPlotter does not support in and out simultaneously. In Kplex the option both is however available. After selecting the option 'both' in the TCP section of the Kplex config file via Advanced Configuration no input and output data is available. In Diagnostics  both the in and out window generate a time out error message. 

Who can shed some light on this ....
Why don't you connect Miniplex 2USB with USB? (You can connect the pi with eth to your 3G wifi-router (but openplotter has the ability to also act as 3G wifi-router))
On what port does your RS422 to TCPIP server work? (Don't use 10109-10113)
e-sailing, thank you for your answer. The RS422 to TCPIP server works op port 2000, sofar it worked flawlessly. Connecting the RPi to Miniplex 2USB by USB is an option I'm aware of. The network on the NMEA183/Seatalk/N2K side of the NMEA/TCPIP converter is the main place for all the navigation at the moment so I prefer not to change anything in that network.

Working with OpenPlotter and without autopilot-control is no problem for now. It is great to try-out all the possibilities of SignalK , OpenCPN and the other features. I installed OpenCPN with oeSENC charts on the RPi to use them on via VNC my laptop and tablet.

I'm just wondering about the reason that two-way traffic over TCPIP is not working. Is it a bug that needs to worked on [because Kplex does support it] or is it a feature that has been decided on.

I find OpenPlotter a very fine and promising development which I fully support ..