This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a sailboat-tracker
I'd like to create functionality which sends my GPS position together with the current SOG and Time to some kind of dashboard. Then the dashboard only shows a map with my full track (past few weeks? preferably as much as I can, but then the dashboard also needs to be able to specify the max length to avoid clutter..). By clicking the track, or actual in-between positions the SOG is displayed.

I think I can achieve this, but for now I don't have any experience in node-red, MQTT, whatsoever. What is the best place where I can start? Or, since I think it's a bit of basic use in these kind of applications; are there any examples/tutorials online? I havent been able to find some basic ones, but maybe I'm just searching the wrong words.

My brain now says something like this; Openplotter gets the GPS position, SOG and Time over one of my NMEA connections. Node-red handles some kind of interval-timing, so I only have to send it in intervals of 30 minutes. It also checks whether I have an internet connection and then sends the data since last connection.
Then the dashboard is able to receive this data, plot the intervals on a map (preferably one in which I can specify the map, thus Gmaps, but also OSM and other WMS). Now, should the map take into account drawing the paths between the positions, or should I already had have handled this before uploading?

Is there anyone who has a live demo, or some tips to point me into the right direction?