This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone seen this before
I did a quick search, but likely used the wrong key words.
Has anyone seen this before? or better yet, tried one?
https://www.tindie.com/products/mcm_solu...pberry-pi/

seems to be well thought out
We discussed such board recently in German forum seems it's near the same like the hat from Christian from munich

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
(2017-08-14, 04:37 AM)tocan Wrote: We discussed such board recently in German forum seems it's near the same like the hat from Christian from munich

And what was the general opinion? good? bad?
Seems substantially overpriced to me but if you would like the 'all-in-one' approach it might be worthwhile. BTW, I always question the wisdom of putting environmental sensors on the main board because what good does it do to know the humidity and temperature in an enclosed box ?
My personal preference is to purchase bits as I find a use for them. You will still need other bits after you install this HAT so it isn't a solution to cover everything at once. Do you require an audio driver - I don't as my system is locked away and I talk to it via wifi. Do you need GPS - I have it but don't need it because my existing boat GPS data is fed to the pi. Environmental sensors, as noted above, are useless in an enclosed box, IMU .... don't know why I would want it, UPS - good feature but readily available for cheaper.
In other words, this is a very personal decision. You might want all the sensors and options and it might be worthwhile for YOUR application.
See its difficult to decide it's overpriced or not. Christians hat was because he did use very good components only by the parts around 100 euros as far I remember. Only to use terminal blocks and not just pins in my opinion is a big advantage.

For this reason I go a total different way. I use virtual com ports for everything. This means each sensor and actor do as it possible his things with an esp8266 that I flash and push the data via WiFi to the raspberry pi. At least I install Alexa Echo and Google home on the raspberry pi. EG at the moment I experiment with sonoff.

How I do it you find in my blog at http://donau-grundel-schiff.de

As soon it runs I try to bring it directly in signal k. It's the part of solar. Sorry for the English there. My mother language is german.

(2017-08-14, 06:18 AM)JD1 Wrote: Seems substantially overpriced to me but if you would like the 'all-in-one' approach it might be worthwhile. BTW, I always question the wisdom of putting environmental sensors on the main board because what good does it do to know the humidity and temperature in an enclosed box ?
My personal preference is to purchase bits as I find a use for them. You will still need other bits after you install this HAT so it isn't a solution to cover everything at once. Do you require an audio driver - I don't as my system is locked away and I talk to it via wifi. Do you need GPS - I have it but don't need it because my existing boat GPS data is fed to the pi. Environmental sensors, as noted above, are useless in an enclosed box, IMU .... don't know why I would want it, UPS - good feature but readily available for cheaper.
In other words, this is a very personal decision. You might want all the sensors and options and it might be worthwhile for YOUR application.

Valid, all valid
there are definitely features I like about the board, but as you say it does have limitations, sensor placement being the most obvious.

(2017-08-14, 10:02 AM)tocan Wrote: See its difficult to decide it's overpriced or not. Christians hat was because he did use very good components only by the parts around 100 euros as far I remember. Only to use terminal blocks and not just pins in my opinion is a big advantage.

For this reason I go a total different way. I use virtual com ports for everything. This means each sensor and actor do as it possible his things with an esp8266 that I flash and push the data via WiFi to the raspberry pi. At least I install Alexa Echo and Google home on the raspberry pi. EG at the moment I experiment with sonoff.

How I do it you find in my blog at http://donau-grundel-schiff.de

As soon it runs I try to bring it directly in signal k. It's the part of solar. Sorry for the English there. My mother language is german.

tocan, thanks for the link, looking at the site now
I have a hat available that turns raspberry pi into an autopilot.
Expensive. I've power cycled via the breaker panel my openplotter setup several hundred times over the last year and a half with no SD card corruption issues. I switch between batteries, start the engine, etc. and have no problems. And anyway, what good is a powered pi if all the nmea sources have shut down after my batteries have run out? For $10 you can carry around a spare SD card. For $138 and shipping you can carry 14. Am I missing something?
Video 
(2017-08-17, 08:11 PM)jswalwell Wrote: Expensive.  I've power cycled via the breaker panel my openplotter setup several hundred times over the last year and a half with no SD card corruption issues.  I switch between batteries, start the engine, etc. and have no problems.  And anyway, what good is a powered pi if all the nmea sources have shut down after my batteries have run out?  For $10 you can carry around a spare SD card.  For $138 and shipping you can carry 14.  Am I missing something?

Something like this? Heart

I sample for my solar shed also to prepare a change to lipos i need arround 700 lipos. 

https://youtu.be/0z_f13Pv8ug

For the moment i go this way but what they put in in the hat i guess its not overpriced. Allways exists a cheaper method. 
cases are 3d print. Apropos: the lipos from old notebooks you can get for free. and they work with a cheap pwm solar charger also not bad, if you go to a 24 Volt system. Just recycling and works realy good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20o3P-S...ZP&index=4
We were not aware of this board. We love people developing hardware around OP but it seems to me quite strange that someone develop a board to be supported by a software but they do not contact software developers. It has no sense.

I like it as a compact solution, although I prefer modular solutions. The selected sensors are not the sensors we have choose to optimize OP code for and this is a big mistake. I like a lot the power management.

Since this is the first news for us about this board and we have not tested it at all, we can not recommend to buy this not cheap board. But we like the idea and we would have some suggestions to support and improve it, anyone could provide the direct developer contact?