This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot
Hi everybody

This summer I had OP 0.13 on the boat and tried to feed 1W temperature to MTW-sentence via the NMEA0183- Generator. This worked OK whilst doing the configuration, the MTW sentence showed up in the logs with correct values, but after a reboot it showed -273.1 as a value, which is just the conversion value from °K to °C. Tried to reconfigure several times, but never got correct values after a reboot.

So it seems that the NMA-Generator doesn't get anymore the value from 1W-Sensor after a fresh boot ???

After coming home, I updated to OP 0.14.5, same behaviour. I have to restart configuration all over (1W, SK restart, NMEA configurator, SK restart) to have correct values.
Might be the same issue as http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=706
But as it is present in 0.13 and 0.14.5 it rather seems to me being a problem with data getting from 1W to SK to NMEA Generator.

Thanks for any help
Christian
I sometimes have the same, just restarting signalk seems to fix it.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
I will check, thanks
I am not able to reproduce this issue. I always have MTW data after reboot.
Could you please disconnect all sensors and devices and left only 1W sensor?
Have you discarded bad connection or hardware malfunction?
CVL I would need more info about this. I need to close issues to go forward...
Thanks for diving into this issue. Unfortunately my boat is already high and dry for the winter season. 1W -sensor is on the boat and the RPi is dry and warm at home. But I can pretty much rule out bad connections as I have a connection hat on the Pi and cables are screwed correctly. Hardware malfunction is more difficult to test. As reconfiguration of the NMEA generator made things working again - without changing anything else - I tend to rule hardware issues out. But as I am unable to quickly provide you more information, I would suggest that you go forward with the new image/ version. I'll try it next sailing season.

Christian
OK, I will be watching this in case I can reproduce it or somebody reports the same. Marking as closed, reopen if necessary. thanks.
Hi Sailoog,

I re-opened the question as I fiddled around with this issue during winter, it turns out that it i not the NMEA-Generator itself, but rather Signal-K:

After boot, I get -273.1°C for my 1W-temp sensor - which my cockpit instrument refuses to show...
I need to restart Signal-K manually to get a correct reading of the 1W-Sensor.

As it should be a headless installation, this is not an option.

Looking at the boot sequence, it seems to me that Signal-K gets initialized first, and afterwards the 1W-bus etc. could you add a restart of Signal-K at the end of the boot sequence to integrate all the sensors added?

running now OP 17.1-stable

Thanks a lot
Christian
I also noticed that sensor data like humidity,temperature and pressure are not transmitted automatically after restart. Once I open the NMEA183 generator and select e.g. pressure - make no changes but click ok, the data are transmitted as expected.

Maybe a - restart option of the nmea generator would help to isolate the problem further.

op 17.1
(2018-03-09, 04:53 PM)SkipperEarly Wrote: I also noticed that sensor data like humidity,temperature and pressure are not transmitted automatically after restart. Once I open the NMEA183 generator and select e.g. pressure - make no changes but click ok, the data are transmitted as expected.

Maybe a - restart option of the nmea generator would help to isolate the problem further.

op 17.1

I believe that SignalK is restarted when you press OK on the NMEA-Generator tab. Could you try if just restarting SignalK (e.g. on the SignalK tab) does the trick?

fair winds
Christian