This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User defined (in OP tabs) COEFFICIENT for calibration of analog inputs
Hi Sailoog and team !
What about associating to each analog input a user defined (in OP tabs) coefficient to calibrate the measuring chain (errors due to either the sensor or distortions due to the hardware linking the sensor to the RPi).
 -For 1W sensors, the reading of my 2 BMP180 have more than one degree difference. I know an error of 2°C is meaningless in the coolant temperature, but it is quite significant in sea temp. when going for a swim ...
- Same for I2C sensors (pressure, temperature, humidity)
 -For SPI interface, as the input value range of MPC3008 is 0 to 3.3 (or 3.2 ?) V, for a battery voltage supervision (10- 14 V) a divider bridge is required, bringing in more distortion to the reading. To monitor a battery current via a shunt (30 to 50 mV) an amplifier will be needed whose gain will depend on the precision of  a couple of resistors ... Of course for an MPC3008 8 coefficients would be reqired.

Of course the HW used to connect a sensor to an input has to adapt the sensor range to the input range, but a SW coefficient would make the calibration process a breeze. Smile
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Good point. I see calibration coefficients essential in analog sensors coming from a MPC3008. In digital sensors like I2C and 1W I do not see it essential, but why not?

We can try it on v0.9.0 when SPI analog sensors are implemented.

Thanks!
Well, I agree it is not essential, but  I'd like to have the possibility to display calibrated pressure, temperature and RH indications...

PS I can't use
neither the quote function, any idea about a reason ?
nor the' get more smilies function ?
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Sure, it would be a great improvement. Talking about priorities, do you mind if we focus on analog interface and signal k implementation and then we go with this?

Are you talking about "Quick reply" or "new Reply"?