This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter getting SAR aircraft AIS signal with SDR dongle
These small devices are really effective... 5 min ago:

(2016-03-18, 08:40 PM)Sailoog Wrote: These small devices are really effective... 5 min ago:

Wow!  That's pretty impressive!  I'm not close enough to the coast to play with the SDR yet.

Here is a link to the vessels track.  Looks like a helicopter.
Marine Traffic
(2016-03-18, 08:40 PM)Sailoog Wrote: These small devices are really effective... 5 min ago:

Ok, I am new to Open Plotter.  It's still too cold to spend much time on my boat.  I do have an AIS receiver, and an antenna, but I want to integrate more.  Which is more sensitive, the dAISy, or a generic SDR device?   Which SDR device?  And how to connect it?  Just point me to a link and I'll get moving.  I can test GPS and AIS from home while waiting for better weather.  Thinking of compass module and directly controlling the  auto pilot motor...
And wind speed/direction/depth if I can get those values from Seatalk, or maybe the Rarmarine has NMEA output...
(2016-03-22, 08:01 PM)RedPCX Wrote:

Ok, I am new to Open Plotter.  It's still too cold to spend much time on my boat.  I do have an AIS receiver, and an antenna, but I want to integrate more.  Which is more sensitive, the dAISy, or a generic SDR device?   Which SDR device?  And how to connect it?  Just point me to a link and I'll get moving.  I can test GPS and AIS from home while waiting for better weather.  Thinking of compass module and directly controlling the  auto pilot motor...
And wind speed/direction/depth if I can get those values from Seatalk, or maybe the Rarmarine has NMEA output...

It's difficult to say which is more sensitive because the important part here is the antenna. Both devices are SDR receivers and the only difference is that dAISy switches between the 2 AIS channels every x seconds and in OpenPlotter you select one of them and stay there. Personally I prefer to stay in one channel because some messages have more than one part and you can lose information if you switch. Both channels are redundant. These are only impressions because I never tested dAISy device.

We use this one: http://www.sailoog.com/en/product/usb-rtl-sdr-ais
For connecting just plug it into an USB Hub, calibrate and that's all.

hi, how you did it?

viva Openplotter!!!
Hello. I'm currently looking for GPS adapter for my car. And, well, I've already found several devices here https://gsmserver.com/, but I'm not sure if any of them are quite good. If you can give some advices I would really appreciate yor help.