This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor chain
I have marked my anchor chain every 10 meters, but I think it must be possible to have a program that counts the length of the chain that is out.
Has someone made such a program and connected to OpenPlotter.
(2017-10-21, 01:25 PM)reinM Wrote: I have marked my anchor chain every 10 meters, but I think it must be possible to have a program that counts the length of the chain that is out.
Has someone made such a program and connected to OpenPlotter.

This guy has Smile

Quite involved, an esp8266 could probably sending the data over wifi.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php...er+arduino
Many newer windlass have the ability to put in a magnetic sensor to count turns. Once installed , you can hook them up to your pi, or other remote sensing device like the ESP8266 or and Arduino. A little code and you are in business.
(2017-10-22, 03:15 AM)waterman480 Wrote: Many newer windlass have the ability to put in a magnetic sensor to count turns.  Once installed , you can hook them up to your pi, or other remote sensing device like the ESP8266 or and Arduino.  A little code and you are in business.

Because it is so easy as you say, I tought more people have made already made a solution. And then I like to hear how they did it and what other things you have to think off.
YESS, please someone please write an Counter for the ESP. My Old Diesel needs 600-1100 U/Min.
While this is technically easy to implement, it is unneeded complication. What purpose does it actually serve? Do you think you can somehow factor this into the anchor alarm in a useful way?

Wouldn't accelerometers attached to the anchor itself, or a strain meter to measure the force/angle on the anchor chain itself be more useful?
Actually, it would be nice when short handed. I have an anchor control switch at the helm, and knowing how many feet I let out when anchoring would be great. Three inputs needed - one counter from the magnet, one enable from each of the relays to increment or decrement the counter. There just have been higher priorities on the boat maint list.