This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Esp8266 - esp easy
Anyone else had a play with esp easy and an Esp8266?  Looks very promising. 
Confession time first, I zapped the i2c & 1wire pins on a Pi3 yesterday in under the chart table trying to tidy up the wiring for some DS18 thermometers, a B180 barometer and a ADS115 voltage sensor, one wrong move with what shouldn't have been a live wire but was to the batts and that was that - tiny spark and pins gone, at least the Pi still mostly works. 

So plan B, leave the Pi safe and sound tucked away then send everything via wifi. Esps are dead cheap -  Google came up with Espeasy.
https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy

Up and running quite quickly, brief overview -
Download some software, plug the Esp into a laptop and run an install program which loads new firmware onto the esp, log onto the new Esp hotspot - a web page appers where you can connect to a network like openplotter. Log on to that network and the Esp creates a website where it's easy to connect hardware, send MQTT/UDP etc, loads of options. 
So after not too much head scratching now we have a cheapo Esp8266 reading voltage and temperature then sending it out over mqtt. Openplotter turns it into signalk in the mqtt tab. 

Looks very promising so far, multiplexing serial data with serial - TTL adaptors next, I had that working just with a basic sketch before so here's hoping! Cool
sorry to hear about your pi.
i used espeasy when it first came out it worked really well .
i may have to revisit it in the future.
(2017-11-05, 06:11 PM)jim321 Wrote: sorry to hear about your pi.
i used espeasy when it first came out it worked really well .
i may have to revisit it  in the future.

Yeah, looks easier than programming the whole lot yourself. Hope it can do software serial so you can multiplex nmea inputs without having a bag of usb/serial plugged into the Pi.
Yes I've been playing with esp easy for a while. It supports most of the common sensors and is very easy to configure. Longest test by me was for a couple of days but everything was working well. I've tried the MQTT and generic http function.
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking at a couple of ESPs on the bench here in front of me. I've been using the Arduino IDE, but this sounds much easier.
Ask the FHEM users mostly Standard and it's the easy way. Did you check yours esp for the krack hack?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
(2017-11-06, 01:35 AM)tocan Wrote: . Did you check yours esp for the krack hack?

Not a problem as the esp isn't operating as an access point. Anyway, a dodgy bloke in a dinghy next to you in the anchorage with a laptop trying to crack your access point would be a dead giveaway Smile
Quick update, had an Esp8266 running easyesp on the go for a while now, seems stable.

3 x DS18B20 thermometers, a ads1115 plus ais going in though a rs232/ttl converter.

Everything going in to a pi3 running openplotter over wifi. The ds18 and ads1115 are going in using mqtt and the ais goes in over tcp. No coding required, set up uing drop down menus and text boxes on a web page the esp creates.

Great little board for less than the price of a beer in London Cool

One note about serial input, as well as setting the baud rate on the serial server options in hardware to 38400 (for ais), you need to set it to the same in the tools tab.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
Thx for the update. For me it's the other way around. I was messing around with some Sonoff switches, which are powered by esp866 and esp8285. I had some trouble with the stability of esp easy. I tried some "advanced" stuff like simple rules, etc. The modules were running at pretty high load and I had some performance issues. However my little weather station, which is basically a bme280 connected to a esp8266 running esp easy, that uses generic http as a controlle, is running fine.
For my boat I would still try to get a bulletproof system and use Arduino ide instead.
With sonoff I use for my experiments a larger ram chip to enlarge the ram. The chips cost around a view cents only. When I have time I will do a video.