This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I use heading data from IMU through NMEA?
Hello, and congratulations on some fine work with OpenPlotter. Question I have is regarding the use of the heading data generated through the IMU sensor. I can see from the SignalK diagnostic that the sensor is working and OP is generating the correct data, but I am not sure how I can then send (with the correct NMEA183 sentences, e.g., HDT) this to the NMEA multiplexer such that I can forward to my other instruments and PC. Can I use the Autopilot example to do this? Not clear from the documentation, which says

Most autopilots have there own fluxgate compass and rudder angle sensor. These data can be used from OpenPlotter.

I, of course, want to use the built-in IMU and send this heading data to other instruments. 

Thanks in advance for your help!
You should be able to send the heading data to an autopilot easy enough as it gets sent out from kplex, but check the autopilot manual to see if it can do anything with it. My raymarine st2000 can't use it.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2017-11-14, 08:24 AM)PaddyB Wrote: You should be able to send the heading data to an autopilot easy enough as it gets sent out from kplex, but check the autopilot manual to see if it can do anything with it. My raymarine st2000 can't use it.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip...unfortunately OP seems to output the VTG sentences rather than the more common HDG/HDM/HDT series that my instruments (e.g., Furuno plotter) need. Any way to easily convert or tell OP to generate these sentences rather than the VTG?
(2017-11-16, 11:33 PM)Tigress Wrote: Thanks for the tip...unfortunately OP seems to output the VTG sentences rather than the more common HDG/HDM/HDT series that my instruments (e.g., Furuno plotter) need. Any way to easily convert or tell OP to generate these sentences rather than the VTG?

Ah, apologies, looks like you need to set the nmea sentence in the nmea generator which is in the tools menu. I had a IMU running a while back but took it off and forgot how I got the data to opencpn. For HDG it looked like this....

[Image: ibAgiuh.png]
(2017-11-17, 12:01 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-11-16, 11:33 PM)Tigress Wrote: Thanks for the tip...unfortunately OP seems to output the VTG sentences rather than the more common HDG/HDM/HDT series that my instruments (e.g., Furuno plotter) need. Any way to easily convert or tell OP to generate these sentences rather than the VTG?

Ah, apologies, looks like you need to set the nmea sentence in the nmea generator which is in the tools menu. I had a IMU running a while back but took it off and forgot how I got the data to opencpn. For HDG it looked like this....

[Image: ibAgiuh.png]
thanks I'll give it a try.