This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No signal in OpenCPN
Hello,

I installed OPL 0.10.0 NOOBS on a RPI3 model B.  After connecting a GPS simulator I can see NMEA sentences passing by in the NMEA0183 tab of OPL in auto_gp, signalk and opencpn.
But in OpenCPN after opening the "Show NMEA Debug Window"  there is no respons. I did not change the standard connections in the connection tab of OpenCPN.  Upgrading to OPL to 0.16.0 beta is no solution for the problem.

What goes wrong?
(2017-11-01, 03:02 PM)Bert1945 Wrote: Hello,

I installed OPL 0.10.0 NOOBS on a RPI3 model B.  After connecting a GPS simulator I can see NMEA sentences passing by in the NMEA0183 tab of OPL in auto_gp, signalk and opencpn.
But in OpenCPN after opening the "Show NMEA Debug Window"  there is no respons. I did not change the standard connections in the connection tab of OpenCPN.  Upgrading to OPL to 0.16.0 beta is no solution for the problem.

What goes wrong?

What GPS simulator are you using?, could you post a message created by it? 

Opencpn should have an input like this..

[Image: sxFCys2.png]
From what I see it looks like the auto_gp entry was created by the initial configurator. If so, please note that it may not be activated. 

[Image: Kplex1.jpg]

Check that the checkbox on the left is checked and if not, check it and apply changes.

Note also what PaddyB says and see if in opencpn are the two network entries that come by default.

[Image: opencpn1.jpg]

You can also try to open a terminal window and enter the command:

nc localhost 10109

and see if the GPS sentences are dumping.
My GPS-simulator is the GPS NMEA Simulator v2.0, it runs under windows 7 and is connected to my RPI by a Sitecom usb to serial cable v2.
The data connection in Ocpn is excactly as PaddyB showed.
The output in OPL of opencpn in the NMEA 0183 tab looks like this:

/media/bert/15E5-2842/Openplotter/Screendump_diagnostic.png

All checkboxes, including auto_gp are checked, as Monos suggested.
And executing the terminal command nc localhost 10109 shows very nice NMEA sentences.
But still there is no reaction in Ocpn.

I opened a new serial connection in Ocpn and when I do a "Show NMEA Debug Window" on this connection I can see also the NMEA sentences passing by and they are green colored, but the strange thing is that also in this case the position is not shown in the map and the satellite symbol in the upper right corner stays red!

PS how can I paste a screendump in the reply??
(2017-11-02, 03:13 PM)Bert1945 Wrote: My GPS-simulator is the GPS NMEA Simulator v2.0, it runs under windows 7 and is connected to my RPI by a Sitecom usb to serial cable v2.
The data connection in Ocpn is excactly as PaddyB showed.
The output in OPL of opencpn in the NMEA 0183 tab looks like this:

/media/bert/15E5-2842/Openplotter/Screendump_diagnostic.png

All checkboxes, including auto_gp are checked, as Monos suggested.
And executing the terminal command nc localhost 10109 shows very nice NMEA sentences.

I opened a new serial connection in Ocpn and when I do a "Show NMEA Debug Window" on this connection I can see also the NMEA sentences passing by and they are green colored, but the strange thing is that also in this case the position is not shown in the map and the satellite symbol in the upper right corner stays red!

PS how can I paste a screendump  in the reply??

Can you cut and paste a message in here? Maybe the checksum is wrong, you can check it online - http://www.hhhh.org/wiml/proj/nmeaxor.html

For images https://imgur.com/ seems as good as anything, on windows use the snip program then paste straight into the website with cntrl V and you'll get a link from a menu.

PS - I just tried 2 NMEA messages
$GPRMC,180603,A,3701.286,N,00756.661,W,000.0,227.9,021117,004.2,W*7A this one with the correct checksum will come up as green in the NMEA debug window & the little line next to the ships position bottom right will spin, change the checksum to a wrong one then everything looks the same but the line won't spin.
(2017-11-02, 03:13 PM)Bert1945 Wrote: And executing the terminal command nc localhost 10109 shows very nice NMEA sentences.

I get the impression that this is not a problem with OpenPlotter. 

If the nc command shows the NMEA sentence dump and OpenCpn also shows them everything indicates that the network connections are OK and OpenCpn does indeed receive the NMEA data.

The fact that the indicator does not change from red to green is not necessarily due to a lack of NMEA data. The indicator only changes to green if this data already includes a correct GPS fix.

The same happens with a real GPS while you are acquiring data but you don't have a correct GPS fix yet.

I suspect that the cause of the problem may be more a matter of correctly configuring the GPS simulation software.
Thanks for all your input. This weekend I am unable to work on the problem, so next week I will be back again.
This weekend I fetched my spare GPS. After connecting this Garmin 72H everything works very well! Monos was right, the problem was the checksum. The GPS simulator did not send this item. After correcting this lag the simulator also works fine.
Thanks for all your good help!