This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone datalogging?
I'm still answering in English because to me opensource means a communication that is free for everyone as well.

No I'm not translating your post. I have neither the time nor the will to do this.

You are basically saying: "My Pi can't handle all the task so I'm getting a smartphone to run my servers." Your best argument is: "It's the first smartphone I've ever bought! My everyday Phone is still an Iphone 3GS, this must mean something - right?"  No, it doesn't mean anything. If I want to run a server I wont run it on a cellphone. If my computer can't handle its tasks, then I'll get a faster computer. In another paragraph you write you want the pi for the data collection and your smartphone for the analysis. You are right this is a good way to go. Great news: openplotter is working like that already. Connect your smartphone to the access point, open up node-red in your phone's browser and let the javascript engine do the job. Do you need to invest time in good node-red flows for that? Absolutely!

Then there is this stuff about controlling openplotter at rough sea. Openplotter is not depending on a touchscreen or mouse like you connote. "Your" idea the track ball has been around for the last 30 years. If you want to use it with openplotter - buy one and hook it up to your pi. Besides that no one is touching the openplotter application in rough sea because its just for setting up stuff. If you want big buttons to handle openplotter functions create em in the dashboard of your choice e.g. node-red-dashboard and click em with your trackball or on your smartphone or where ever you like.

I'm familiar with fMRT data analysis and I know the data Volume, still I don't see the link to raspberry pi and the openplotter project.

Saving pictures in databases is from my point of view in most cases, bad practice.

Further more you write about rivers, river charts and the use of the raspberry pi inland.
I happened to sail more than 1500km in the last seven years on rivers. You are upset that some buoys on the Donau were missing although they were shown in charts? Buoys in river charts are completely useless unless they mark a constant hazard like a rock. Rivers change daily and buoys are moved on a regular basis. The only good reasons you need river charts are for infrastructure at the riversides and for keeping track of your route. On most of the big rivers, that are used by industrial vessels, you can't just take a break in the middle of nowhere, you need a harbor. To my knowledge there are no charts available (for Rhine or Donau) holding this information but there are great books.
You said the pi is useless inland? Well i used it for keeping track of my journey but besides that I've used my eyes for navigation, books for guidance and my smartphone to find the good places to eat. I din't use openplotter back then but it could have helped to monitor my engine, etc. you know the stuff it is supposed to do. So I don't see why a pi is useless inland just because the river charts are bad.

So in the end there are a lot of "no"s:

No I don't think InfluxDB and Grafana should come with openplotter. If you want them install em by yourself
No I don't want to run LAMP on my smartphone. A cellphone isn't the best server from my perspective.
No I don't think rpi/openplotter is useless inland.
No I'm not watching your 45 min marketing video. Nevertheless I think I can decide whether I want to run a server on a phone or not. By the way - are you getting paid for the translation job of the phone company?

Messages In This Thread
Anyone datalogging? - by PaddyB - 2017-11-14, 10:03 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by shark24 - 2017-11-15, 10:19 AM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by PaddyB - 2017-11-15, 10:51 AM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by shark24 - 2017-11-15, 11:45 AM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by PaddyB - 2017-11-15, 02:27 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by tocan - 2017-11-15, 03:13 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by PaddyB - 2017-11-15, 03:45 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by tocan - 2017-11-15, 05:20 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by tocan - 2017-11-15, 03:51 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by shark24 - 2017-11-15, 04:49 PM
RE: Anyone datalogging? - by tocan - 2017-11-15, 09:06 PM