This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i2c firmata?{solved)
well i don't know what happened but i lost i2c no short circuits or 5v attached was working then just stopped. i removed the wires and soldered them together thinking it was a bad connection and sensors showed up for a second in i2c scan then disappeared again ????
so i started to look for alteritives  and found this "https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-gpio"
so i am going to try to use the i2c pins on an arduino to get the data...with johnny 5..
unless there is a better way???
i have 2 esp-nodemcu's 3 esp01 a esp32 and arduino's to work with
Suggestions please..
jim
(2017-11-19, 11:29 AM)jim321 Wrote: well i don't know what happened but i lost i2c no short circuits or 5v attached was working then just stopped. i removed the wires and soldered them together thinking it was a bad connection and sensors showed up for a second in i2c scan then disappeared again ????
so i started to look for alteritives  and found this "https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-gpio"
so i am going to try to use the i2c pins on an arduino to get the data...with johnny 5..
unless there is a better way???
i have 2 esp-nodemcu's 3 esp01 a esp32 and arduino's to work with
Suggestions please..
jim

I've blown more than one Pi over the years, now keeping well clear of GPIO pins unless completely necessary  Blush

I've had good results over wifi using espeasy and esp8266 12e , just load the firmware then all the setup is done on a web page. So far connected 3 x ds18b20 temperature sensors, a i2c ads1115 voltage sensor and  AIS data going in through a serial to TTL convertor. Communicates over MQTT then converted into signalk in openplotter in the MQTT tab. Seems very stable so far.  AIS was over UDP. Handy not having to get all the wiring into the Pi, esp8266 aren't exactly expensive and don't pull too much power.

Some more details here -
http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=844
Don't we have another thread recently about exactly the same subject?
I've used the johnny5 node and the lib in nodejs. It worked out ok but it couldn't satisfy me completely. In the end I'm not the biggest fan of firmata. I would go for the esp8266 and send the data by mqtt over wifi or write a little sketch for an arduino pro mini and send the data via uart if power consumption must be kept as low as possible
the imu is my biggest concern. power is no problem ..i'll load up an nodemcu with espeasy and see if i get that to work.
thanks
jim
i found the problem's i was having was due to a node that i had installed that used i2c . after removing it i got use of it again..Smile