This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introducing OpenPlotter hats!!!
We are still working on the concept of the next hats, no prototypes yet.
Would it be usefull to try writing an extra setting page to adjust the gps settings? What sentences, updatespeed, (chart)datum etc. I'm thinking off starting a little project for this.
Yesterday, i tested the HAT on the water for the first time. Cool
I use the headless setup, with a windows 10 industrial fanless computer and a faytech 15" touchscreen to run Opencpn.
Connected to the Raspberry using an ethernet cable.
I installed a decent 5A 12v to 5v converter.
Use a M.2 SSD, not a SD card
SSD convertor has also its own power connection.

AIS reception distance increased from 4 to 6 Km with the HAT. I used a Seanexx RX200 USB receiver before. Cool
Antenne is the same, only about 20 cm  
Also much more AIS targets at close range, even 2 toerist tour boats had AIS wich i never received before.
This is inland waters, with lots of dikes ans trees.

GPS reception is also good, i use an external antenne, as the Raspberry is build in the cabin.
My previous gnss receiver is using an Ublox M8Q, and i have the feeling it is a little bit better than the HAT's gnss chip.
It also receives Galileo system.

Today i'm going to calibrate the compass, boat sits on a trailer and i will just drive it around a bit  Big Grin

Ben
Hello all,

I am following this forum for a while already and I am close to set up the navigation with openplotter. The only thing what I miss is the GNSS chip does not support the Galileo system which becomes more and more useful.
Is there a software update possible for the Moitessier Hat?

thanks
tiberius
Hello all,

is there a possibility to upgrade the GNSS chip of the Moitisier Hat that enables it to receive the Galileo system?

thanks

tiberius
(2018-09-12, 04:19 PM)tiberius64 Wrote: Hello all,

is there a possibility to upgrade the GNSS chip of the Moitisier Hat that enables it to receive the Galileo system?

thanks

tiberius

Theroetically it is possible, but this has to be accomplished by the host microcontroller on the HAT. Unfortunately the microcontroller does not support this feature yet.
But we are working on this subject.

(2018-09-09, 10:50 AM)Ben S Wrote: AIS reception distance increased from 4 to 6 Km with the HAT. I used a Seanexx RX200 USB receiver before. Cool
Antenne is the same, only about 20 cm  
Also much more AIS targets at close range, even 2 toerist tour boats had AIS wich i never received before.
This is inland waters, with lots of dikes ans trees.

The HAT's sensitivity is about 7 db better than the sensitivity of the RX200 and the HAT can handle frequency offsets of the transmitting station quite well.
Use a suiteable AIS antenna and the reception range will increase, even if using in inland waters.
Is there any information available on the OpenPlotter MacArthur Hat?
Will it also include additional USB plugs so that we can eliminate the powered USB hub?

I guess it will then also require a larger case so that both hats can fit in it.

Can I put it already on the Xmas wishlist Wink ?
@sailoog: any update information you can share?
Sorry for the silence, we have been sailing.
The manufacture and distribution of Moitessier HAT requires more work than expected and the work in the rest of HAT is delayed. We take note of your request. There are not many things to share yet.
Hi,

I just got everything working with Moitessier HAT.  But I haven't tested it on board yet.  Before I can do so, I need to solve how to supply power to it from the boat's electrical system.  The Raspberry Pi needs >2.4 A and the average USB plugs for 12v systems I've found get up to 2 A at most.  I got myself an UBEC, but instructions I've found everywhere say to connect it to GPIO pins I can't use because I have the HAT on.  I thought I could solder the UBEC to a micro-USB plug directly, but the specs I've read for the plugs say they can only hold 500 mA (?).  How do you supply power to the Raspberry+Moitessier from your 12v circuit?

Cheers