This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introducing OpenPlotter hats!!!
(2018-11-26, 10:32 AM)ningu Wrote: Hi,

I just got everything working with Moitessier HAT.  But I haven't tested it on board yet.  Before I can do so, I need to solve how to supply power to it from the boat's electrical system.  The Raspberry Pi needs >2.4 A and the average USB plugs for 12v systems I've found get up to 2 A at most.  I got myself an UBEC, but instructions I've found everywhere say to connect it to GPIO pins I can't use because I have the HAT on.  I thought I could solder the UBEC to a micro-USB plug directly, but the specs I've read for the plugs say they can only hold 500 mA (?).  How do you supply power to the Raspberry+Moitessier from your 12v circuit?

Cheers

I found a step down on amazon that was rated at 5v3a 15w

GEREE DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 12V to 5V Micro USB Output Buck Power Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O6RJLQC/ref...aCb1JRD8EB

That said I have the touchscreen display hooked in and it’s borderline powering both. So I actually power the board and tried using an inverted and another usb 2.5 amp power supply directly to the touchscreen. That seems to work so I will be ordering another step down. Or two for spares. I just found a 12 volt usb hub as well which should help.

I also thought of flat ring connector under the hat on a 5volt pin and ground pin. Anyone tried this route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you will find that the RPI current requirements considerably exceed the originally specified current limits for micro-USB connectors. It has never been a problem. You shouldn't have any issue with soldering directly to a micro-USB connector for your power. Connecting to the 5V GPIO pins has a little more risk, as there is no protection on those pins.

BTW, I use one of these for 5V supply. It works great, but I am finding that if it is disconnected from a load, it generates RF noise in my radio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXNN7YA

I would stay away from the 3A buck converters. A few of us have tried them and found they didn't perform well.
(2018-11-30, 03:14 PM)abarrow Wrote: BTW, I use one of these for 5V supply. It works great, but I am finding that if it is disconnected from a load, it generates RF noise in my radio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXNN7YA

I would stay away from the 3A buck converters. A few of us have tried them and found they didn't perform well.

installed this one last year. Works very well, even for the UPS Pico, which is very ticklish on voltage drops. The 3A converters couldn't deliver 5V stable on load. Additionally it is waterproof
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01ENT1...UTF8&psc=1
Do anybody know when Moitessier HAT will be available?
Question 
(2019-08-03, 08:12 AM)zankiki Wrote: Do anybody know when Moitessier HAT will be available?

I'm also interested in this... Rolleyes
The new Raspberry 4 and Raspbian Buster versions force us to make some changes in Moitessier HAT hardware and software design.

Old Moitessier HAT model will be compatible as well. Hopefully after summer (EU time) they will be back in stock again.
(2019-08-05, 11:44 AM)Sailoog Wrote: The new Raspberry 4 and Raspbian Buster versions force us to make some changes in Moitessier HAT hardware and software design.

Old Moitessier HAT model will be compatible as well. Hopefully after summer (EU time) they will be back in stock again.

Do you know anything new? I am so impatient to buy and try one...
Design is done, software is almost done. Waiting for prices and schedule of manufacturer.
I am new in this stuff, I already have PI4, and waiting for HAT2 to make navigation on my boat.
I read about this, and I can see that I2C sensors need to be connected on 40 pin header on PI, but if I connect HAT on pin header where to connect sensors?

I would like to make sensors for fuel and water level, temperature sensors for engine, and set up display on second monitor...

Of course I will send images when get job done.
Sorry if my english is not excellent.
I'm referring back to the original post, old but were the other Hats mentioned ever developed? The MacArthur Hat and the Slocum Hat? I would be very interested in both. Thanks.