This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introducing OpenPlotter hats!!!
Hello,
That looks very cool. Thank you for your work.
Two questions:
1. Will it be possible to stack the Hat?
2. will the GPS get a connection for an external antenna?

Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
(2017-11-22, 05:50 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2017-11-21, 11:20 AM)PaddyB Wrote: When do you think they might be available? 

And what chip do you use to receive AIS?

This could be so handy for delivery skippers Cool

Added more info and expected dates

The used chip is a narrow band receiver from ON Semiconductor (AX series) and definitely better than RTL-SDR chips.
Which chip exact? Are there any comparison tests that show what is better?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
(2017-11-22, 05:50 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2017-11-21, 11:20 AM)PaddyB Wrote: When do you think they might be available? 

And what chip do you use to receive AIS?

This could be so handy for delivery skippers Cool

Added more info and expected dates

The used chip is a narrow band receiver from ON Semiconductor (AX series) and definitely better than RTL-SDR chips.
Thanks, looks like it could be a game changer Cool

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2017-11-22, 09:48 PM)jim321 Wrote: will it  need to be mounted in flat face up orientation for the accelerometer and magnetometer sensors to work, calibrate ??

No. You can place the board in any orientation. It will be calibrated just like the current IMU modules, here you can see an example: https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...mpass.html

The only requirement is mounting this away of strong electromagnetic fields like speakers, batteries ...
(2017-11-22, 10:05 PM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello,
That looks very cool. Thank you for your work.
Two questions:
1. Will it be possible to stack the Hat?
2. will the GPS get a connection for an external antenna?

Greetings Jürgen

1. Of course. Since this hat has a built-in GNSS antenna, it should be mounted on top but the rest of hat are stackable. This hat has direct access to some GPIO in case you need them.

2. Yes, the BNC connector.
(2017-11-23, 02:29 PM)tocan Wrote: Which chip exact? Are there any comparison tests that show what is better?

Not yet. We will publish complete technical specifications when the prototype have been fully tested.
(2017-11-23, 03:26 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Thanks, looks like it could be a game changer Cool

A game killer sounds better Wink
I last week did have a talk. Do you provide a confirmation with the hat and it will have a CE zertificate. In Europe they did finish the new database and interconnections betwen different countries. As result close to 1 million devices mainly from china but also internal Europe and passenger airports where captured this year.because did not have CE or and conformity.
(2017-12-03, 08:08 PM)tocan Wrote: I last week did have a talk. Do you provide a confirmation with the hat and it will have a CE zertificate. In Europe they did finish the new database and interconnections betwen different countries. As result close to 1 million devices mainly from china but also internal Europe and passenger airports where captured this year.because did not have CE or and conformity.

Would an electronic module need or even find a CE norm to comply to? 

Quick google, in relation to arduino shields comes up with "CE is not required for "component or modules" that are used to manufacture end-products"
(2017-12-04, 12:40 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-12-03, 08:08 PM)tocan Wrote: I last week did have a talk. Do you provide a confirmation with the hat and it will have a CE zertificate. In Europe they did finish the new database and interconnections betwen different countries. As result close to 1 million devices mainly from china but also internal Europe and passenger airports where captured this year.because did not have CE or and conformity.

Would an electronic module need or even find a CE norm to comply to? 

Quick google, in relation to arduino shields comes up with "CE is not required for "component or modules" that are used to manufacture end-products"

Yes as far as i know. EU did sort out this year arround one million devices. And they start new restrictions now. I do like to reduce the Wifi power of a drone and there is a solution in Germany to do as a private person a conformity. I asked i can do the measurements with the SDR-RTL and was told it depends also if the SDR have a CE Mark. This is given in that case... I spoke with someone at phone of the Bundesnetzzentrale.  All the time i did beleave that a receiver is not controlled and seems i was wrong. In case for the hat are restrictions its maybee better to offer as kit for solder at home. I think developers are informed about the rules if necessarry. Just did not see a CE mark on the hat and ask.