This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How to listen to a UDP port?
Have today tried (unsuccessfully) to connect my wireless WindVane to OP.
This device is transmitting on wifi UDP port 55554 NMEA sentences of AWA and AWD as well as Battery status
($WIMWV; $WIBAT)

Have not found in OP wifi settings to set UDP instead of TCP, can I set this somewhere in a config file?

Also: how to get the IP of the transmitter? The transmitter has no configuration options and just shows SSID: "SailTimerWindVane.com" (have also tried their public IP 74.208.21.226 without success). Once I am connected to this SSID and set the 55554 port I can see the NMEA messages in iNAVX or iRegatta on my iPad.  How can I connect the UDP wifi signal to OP to use the 10.10.10.1:10110 as dispatcher for all NMEA sentences?

advice is appreciated - thanks
To share data, devices must be in the same network and since your windvane can only work as an access point you need to connect OP to him. Connect the same way as you connect with your ipad.
Then you can define the UDP connection adding a network connection in NMEA 0183 tab. See the "Type" field.
If you want OP to work as an access point too, you need another wifi dongle and set the access point with this device.
(2016-05-10, 04:49 PM)Sailoog Wrote: To share data, devices must be in the same network and since your windvane can only work as an access point you need to connect OP to him. Connect the same way as you connect with your ipad.
Then you can define the UDP connection adding a network connection in NMEA 0183 tab. See the "Type" field.
If you want OP to work as an access point too, you need another wifi dongle and set the access point with this device.
 Thanks Sailoog for swift reply.
Understand the issue of my device being only AP and therefore needing additional wlan dongle, thats exactly what I want.
I receive the wind data over wlan1 and distribute them (together with GPSdata, AIS etc) over wlan0(10.10.10.1:10110)

I am working headless with VNC on my PC and when I select connect wlan on the gui, I sometime see/sometimes not see the windvane network. I even put the raspi next to the wlan AP and have all devices on reliable power!
when visible I select the windvane network (it has a transmitter-mast-icon next to it) and then it runs long in a loop, disconnecting / reconnecting also the VNC connection. After approx 1 Minute still no connection is established and I am not given the option to configure in OP NMEA tab the connection, I know have set the type to UDP but I do not have the IP address just the SSID of the network. 
From the connection on the iPad I detected  that the DHCP has address 169.254.193.188 (255.255.0.0) but on network info it doesnt show a client IP, dont know why.

As stated its very cumbersome to test with VNC as I have to switch always networks on the PC. To use VNC on the iPad I can only view as I have not managed to switch the virtual keyboard on within VNC (doubble tapping on a text field doesnt work)

Will try tomorrow again with a HDMI screen.

Thanks for advise.
have not had more testing and maybe my observations are of help to get this problem solved.
tests on rpi2, 2 x wifi, OP 0.8.0 (just updated/-graded and cloned)
The issue of having the SSID of the UDP wifi sometimes visible and sometimes not seems to have to do with the setting in menu/preferences/network connections
when I define there a wifi connection as infrastructure with correct SSID then this SSID is shown in click gui network-icon.
Strangely when connecting then there another connection is generated in menu/preferences/network connections with SSIDname1 with setting mode:adhoc but even after 1 minute trying no connection is established. Played also with different MTU settings but makes no difference.

I believe already when trying to connect to a UDP server the handshake should be handled differently to TCP connections, meaning not to wait until an IP address is assigned but just selecting the connection. Listening port etc I can then configure in OP.
This is how I believe Apple is handling it on the iPad as I have no issue whatsoever there to connect. On the iPad, when I connect I see no entry in wifi settings under DHCP addr but when pushing renew lease I get the 169.254.193.188 (255.255.0.0) shown - unfortunately it doesn't show me the IP address assigned only the DHCP gateway.
BTW I have also tried to connect with Win10 but failed.

As I suspected that the wifi implementation in maybe slightly non standard I also contacted the supplier of the wireless Wind>Vane in Canada. Surprisingly
they are not support oriented - their advise was get a new WindVane and all your problems will be solved Smile Thats when I remembered that we had initially also connection issues with iNavX, iRegatta and their proprietary Android application.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Or does anyone know of a reasonable priced wireless, solar powered Windspeed/-direction sensor ?