This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New toy - Suggestions on how to use it?
Wink 
Hi all,
I couldn't resist this on Aliexpress. A battery backed ESP-32 with a small OLED screen, all for around $10? I'll take two!

Now, any ideas on what to do with it?  Tongue

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TTGO-WiF...99155.html
I don't  known your skills. What about a ntp clock. If you have some sensors lying arround you can try to set up a weatherstation.
I was thinking more about on the boat. One of these is currently becoming a handheld race timer for Race Officers, that sounds horns and tells when flags need to be raised, etc. I had the code working on an ESP8266, now I'm trying to port it to the ESP32 with OLED display. Trying is the operative word -some of it works, some not so much!

These are darned powerful little devices! With the little display and wifi, what about something that cycles through display of engine sensors?
Hi, Abarrow
I am interested in the race timer as well.
Started a project myself as well, but did not come very far.
Are you wiling to share your effort so far?

Maybe we should start a new tread for it?
If you do not want to share with the community, can you send me a PM?

Other suggestion:
an (advanced) remote control for auto pilot

I created a river pilot funtion based on dotnet, using a small wireless keyboard to control it
The major disadvantage was, when swiching the application accidently (lost focus) it was no longer getting the input from the keyboard.
River pilot = steer the bends on the river by setting degrees per minute - using nmea, send every second a new course based on the rate.
I'm not the biggest fan of these oled/esp combinations cause for me their only use is prototyping but certainly you can build something like the tacktick race master. I don't See the use in a mobile device for engine data etc. I guess stationary displays are good enough for that. But it would be cool to carry a small esp with you that has a few buttons and a small display to set the tacking angle or the starting line etc.
You can program timers for the start and alerts for windshifts and laylines.
(2017-12-30, 09:33 AM)Sjoerd02 Wrote: I am interested in the race timer as well.
Started a project myself as well, but did not come very far.
Are you wiling to share your effort so far?

Maybe we should start a new tread for it?
Sure, I'd be happy to share. I never considered that a race timer might be an interesting addition to Openplotter, but perhaps it would!
I'll start a new thread.