This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing with an (unofficial) *.img file of OPlotter
I've spent a few hours trying to get my OPlotter backup with NOOBS that I made from a 32GB SD card to reduce to 16GB in order to be able to have OPlotter backups and my oeSENC charts on 16GB cards (I have several 16GB cards and I didn't feel like spending more money on a 32GB card without needing to.

Since I've even scratched myself, I wanted to try to eliminate NOOBS from the set and I seem to have succeeded.

I now have a *. img file from my OPlotter backup and with my oeSENC charts running and I'm actually quite satisfied with the result.

I've even tried to restore the *. img file on a 16GB USB drive and an old 80GB hard drive and they work fine. However the performance using SD (it's one of the fastest) is always the same or something, very little, better.

I know that some people wanted to have a *. img file instead of an installer with NOOBS. If someone in the forum would like to mess up and fool around for a while you can download the *. img file I created. I deleted all my data and it looks like a clean installation of OPlotter 0.10.0 updated to 0.16.0 and then updated to Raspbian Stretch.

Just to add that everything seems to be going more or less well except for the fact that you can no longer update OPlotter. Trying it from the update menus does not work and if it is done from the terminal, although it starts it gives error due to failure of dependencies and broken packages. 

I suppose that until Sailoog finds enough time to solve these issues  on Raspbian stretch we will have to put up with OPlotter in Raspbian Jessie or with this stretch upgrade that at least improves the overall performance. Especially web browsing with Chromium.

If someone wants to spend some time messing (advanced Linux users) and playing with the *. img file I can put the link to Mega since I have it saved there.

https://mega.nz/#!lNwHHQSQ!2O6RyVZ_ilN8R...zV_HfIOcME

Just keep in mind that it is compressed and once decompressed, a 16 Gb SD is required to install it.

If you want to use it on a USB drive you have to tweaks a couple of files so that it can boot. If anyone wants to... ask for it, I'll explain.
It's not like the sea has such a bad temper.
The real bastard is the wind.
The sea... simply gets carried away.

would not extract said 177 gb wasn't enough drive space  ...needs 6 more exabyte's
    look at the size 734 pb 6.61 eb
going try to download again
Well, I just tested unzip the file to see if there were any errors when compressing it and it works well.

Could be Mega's copy was wrong. That's why I'm downloading it to another computer to see if everything's OK.

I do everything with Ubuntu. You can try using another decompression tool such as 7-zip which is free and may be more up-to-date, in case the error resides there.

I will later comment on whether the downloaded copy of Mega works ok.
I also tried the file downloaded from Mega and it worked well for me. You should have a problem downloading or unzipping application that in Windows Vista may be obsolete.