This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dAISY hat with openplotter
I'm trying to setup the dAISY hat with my raspberry pi 2  running the latest version of openplotter.  The hat seems to be working (no antenna hooked up yet)  and I can connect to it with screen to see what mode its in.  its running on /dev/ttyAMA0 at 38400.  I've tried to configure it with OPENCPN but every time I start openCPN it complains that no serial devices are available.  

How can I confirm that openplotter can see and receive data from the dAISy hat?  should it be able to receive the NMEA test messages that the AIS hat can generate?
You can do a couple of things. First, open a terminal and type "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" to see if any data is in fact coming from the hat. The receiver won't generate AIS strings if there is nothing being received.

The other thing you can do is to use the NMEA generator to generate test AIS strings for OpenCPN. You'll have to find an example AIS string and have the generator create it for you on a regular basis.

It may be that you need to get a RPI3. Does OpenPlotter even work on an RPI2?
(2018-01-30, 04:40 AM)abarrow Wrote: You can do a couple of things. First, open a terminal and type "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" to see if any data is in fact coming from the hat. The receiver won't generate AIS strings if there is nothing being received.

The other thing you can do is to use the NMEA generator to generate test AIS strings for OpenCPN. You'll have to find an example AIS string and have the generator create it for you on a regular basis.

Thanks Why wouldn't it work on an RPI2 it was developed before the RPI3 existed.  

Is the NMEA generator the same as the test NMEA that the hat can generate?  would the HAT be sending the TEST NMEA sentences out on the serial interface?
(2018-01-30, 04:51 AM)!got it working briefly,  but now I have a new problem.  pcmm Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 04:40 AM)abarrow Wrote: You can do a couple of things. First, open a terminal and type "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" to see if any data is in fact coming from the hat. The receiver won't generate AIS strings if there is nothing being received.

Thanks Why wouldn't it work on an RPI2 it was developed before the RPI3 existed.  

Is the NMEA generator the same as the test NMEA that the hat can generate?  would the HAT be sending the TEST NMEA sentences out on the serial interface?

Ok got it working briefly. The hat was sending NMEA through kplex. But now kplex timeout on all its connections. If I do diagnostics on the output it times out and on any inputs too.  What am I missing?
Try running "top" in a terminal to see if you are just running out of resources. It could be that your CPU is maxed out, or perhaps memory.
CPU appears to be idling at 95%idle. This is a fresh out of Noobs instal with no changes except to turn on the serial port for the dAISy AIS hat. Is it possible kpex needs additional configuration before it works on a fresh install?
Openplotter should be doing all the configuration you need for kplex. If you are still getting data from the dAISy when you type "cat xxxx", the only other thing I can think of is to have another look at your USB configuration.
(2018-01-31, 02:24 PM)abarrow Wrote: Openplotter should be doing all the configuration you need for kplex. If you are still getting data from the dAISy when you type "cat xxxx", the only other thing I can think of is to have another look at your USB configuration.

Thanks, I tired using "cat /dev/ttyAMA0"  but "cat" isn't recognzed as a command in openplotter.  If I download and install "screen"  I can communicate with the hat a /dev/ttyAMA0  but for fun I completely reinstalled my openplotter instance from fresh on my pi and I get the same errors (before configuring my HAT)  must be some set of steps to configure kplex after install that I'm not seeing
Take an deep look here, if you want your HAT to play on an raspberry 3: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...on/uart.md

Seems, Bluetooth has to be disabled to work together with /dev/ttyAMA0.

Good luck on your pi 2.

Holger
Finally figured it out! during my testing I'd been leaving "screen" running so that I could see the output of the test NMEA data. I didn't realize that this blocked kplex from seeing the serial data!