This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
@mxtommy KIP instrument display webapp for Signalk
I have customized the default configuration to my needs in a webbrowser with the IP address:3000 - so not localhost:3000 via VNC
when I now try to save this configuration to use on different devices it requires a "token". I request the token but then what? where is the token sent to and how to use it?
Can someone with experience please point me either to a user decription or describe the steps in more details e.g. with screen prints

Thanks for help
(2020-08-16, 10:55 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: I have customized the default configuration to my needs in a webbrowser with the IP address:3000 - so not localhost:3000 via VNC
when I now try to save this configuration to use on different devices it requires a "token". I request the token but then what? where is the token sent to and how to use it?
Can someone with experience please point me either to a user decription or describe the steps in more details e.g. with screen prints

Thanks for help

Hi!
Once the token has been requested, you need to go into the admin panel of the signal k server. There should be a section under security for the requests. You need to approve the request there. This gives KIP permissions on the server.
@mxtommy - thanks - that helped a lot to get me going.
I assume I should now save my config as e.g. myconf as global (or user?)
Now I should connect from another device e.g. the mobile phone and change the connection and then load "myconf" from there. - correct? or anything else to consider.

BTW Is there somewhere a kind of manual to learn all the great possibilities ?
(2018-02-04, 06:18 AM)Tigress Wrote: I, too, have been looking for an OP substitute for an expensive ($500) B&G/Raymarine i70s/Garmin GMI20/Furuno F170 4" or 5" multifunction instrument display. In fact I have been looking for a 4"-5" touch display with bezel that fits this footprint. Anyone have any ideas for SW or HW that might fit the bill?

Checkout ELO touch screens, even look for old POS units used in the restaurant industry. most are waterproof to touch surface so would just need to rebuild a bezel.
@MXTommy,

I have a feature request - I would like to display times - current time and ETA.  I am especially interested in ETA

currently there is not an ETA spat out by Opencpn but I have created it within 'Derived Data'  - but it is a text string - as the other Dates/times in SignalK and is based on Zulu time.  I would like to be able to show the time in a friendly, usable format.  if it need to be in a different format then I can update the eta.js.  I am currently showing it as the picture below:

if you want to test the eta.js and have Derived data installed then copy the file attached in to the directory:

Code:
/home/pi/.signalk/node_modules/signalk-derived-data/calcs/

Once enabled, you will get a signal k phrase "navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.eta" when you have a next point and a VMG

As you were talking about creating a screen for XTE in an earlier post.  If it helps, I did create another 'Derived data' term for 'steer error', where XTE is about the distance you are from the Rhumbline, what I think you want to know is the error between your current heading and the next waypoint so I created phrases "navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.rightSteerError" and "navigation.courseGreatCircle.nextPoint.leftSteerError"  and I display them like the picture below: 

i did also add just steer error and the sign tell you the direction if you prefer.

I have also included the steer_error.js

thanks
Techstyle

Attached Files
.txt   eta.js.txt (Size: 1.23 KB / Downloads: 179)
.txt   steer_error.js.txt (Size: 1.29 KB / Downloads: 171)
Hi Techstyle! Smile

There are some "time" units in kip already, they take a value in seconds, and can render that in a few different ways. could be used for countdowns etc. (time to go etc).

As for printing a timestamp as you've shown, what format do you envision it displaying? Things get complicated quickly when you start including timezones etc in it :O

The best would be if you can open an "issue" at https://github.com/mxtommy/Kip/issues

Thanks!
I created a feature request as well:
Feature Request: Windgauge - indicator bearing to next waypoint

In fact I requested 2 features:
- a bearing to waypoint indicator.
- a COG indicator

Both looks useful to me to have a more complete picture in one gauge.
Most important is to see if you're heading in right direction.
Or on tacking lag to see if you can fetch your waypoint watching the lay lines (with history).

Thanks in advance
Sjoerd
I have a few question in regard toe the setup:
- I do not seem to be able to change the laylines, I also do not seem be able to enable and disable them, is the feature switched off?
- the boat speed (SOG) coming from the GPS signal is very unstable / varies a lot, is it possible to smooth / average over time period?
- is there a way to calibrate the boat speed from the paddles wheel (I think it is STW), it seems quite far off from the reading on the Raymarine, but I remember I had to calibrate the signal here as well?
- it seems that I do not get the data for true wind speed and angle, the Raymarine system seems to calculate them by itself, can the app do it as well or is there a setting how I access the true wind data?
Tanks for any advice!
(2021-06-01, 12:06 PM)Maughidhoo Wrote: - it seems that I do not get the data for true wind speed and angle, the Raymarine system seems to calculate them by itself, can the app do it as well or is there a setting how I access the true wind data?

install the plugin "signalk-derived-data", in the plugin config you can select true wind speed and direction
(2021-06-01, 12:06 PM)Maughidhoo Wrote: I have a few question in regard toe the setup:
- I do not seem to be able to change the laylines, I also do not seem be able to enable and disable them, is the feature switched off?
- the boat speed (SOG) coming from the GPS signal is very unstable / varies a lot, is it possible to smooth / average over time period?
- is there a way to calibrate the boat speed from the paddles wheel (I think it is STW), it seems quite far off from the reading on the Raymarine, but I remember I had to calibrate the signal here as well?
- it seems that I do not get the data for true wind speed and angle, the Raymarine system seems to calculate them by itself, can the app do it as well or is there a setting how I access the true wind data?
Tanks for any advice!

For the laylines, you should be able to disable/enable them under the settings of the widget. It's under the first page "Display" of the settings. There's options for setting the angle of the laylines and to the right on/off. Note they're based on True wind, if you don't have that they wont work.

For GPS speed being unstable or calibrating boat speed, if I remember there is are plugins in the server that can help with that. (same thing for true wind as Techstyle wrote)

If you haven't already, I suggest joining the signalk slack http://slack-invite.signalk.org/ There are a bunch of great people there that can help you get that all setup