This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting usb-gps and usb-ais running
Hi everybody,

I'm currently setting openplotter on a raspberry pi to have all data and charts in one place on board.
So we are talking about a raspbery pi 3b+ and openplotter 1.2 after a automatic update.

First I've put the openplotter noobs on a sd and started the pi (the manual guided me wrong here, purchased a SD as statet, but needed a microSD). OP installed and everything was fine.
Then I made an internet connection over ethernet, worked like a charm.
Only thing was, that it took me a day to find the information, that only vnc is supported any more and that RDP is dropped out.
## Looks like there are at least two documentation out on the net - one old and not valid and one new with almost no content. ##
## Is there a third source to get up to date instructions? ##
I installed some charts from Osenc with the fingerprint file - that worked great.

Than I did the update on 1.2. After that, in opencpn the path to my charts was lost, the plugins disabled and the network connection was gone. After getting the osenc plugin back to work, the fingerprintfile isn't gecognized any more. Well, looks like some minor problem here.

My real problem starts when connecting my usb mouse and my ais over usb. I connect both with an active usb-hub which has its own power supply. The hub is than plugged into the pi. So enough amps should be there. Checked the gps on my PC - works fine. The ais (qk-a024) works too.
And it happens: nothing.
I can not see the ports anywhere. Not in openplotter in the serial tab. Not in Signal K and not in Kplex.
I learned that the old manual isnt valid here any more and lot has changed. Unfortunatly the new manual has just blank sites when it comes to the connections. Tried it now for a week and I run out of ideas.

Can anybody explain to me the process of adding a new USB-device with serial NMEA-data to openplotter. As being total new to the whole thing, I detail instruction would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Messages In This Thread
getting usb-gps and usb-ais running - by michael.trilling@gmail.com - 2018-10-22, 06:42 PM