This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending GPS info from OpenPlotter to VHF radio
I am a newbie to this forum. I have configured a Raspberry-Pi 4 to have OpenPlotter installed on it.
It has a usb GPS working already. A usb SDR also up and running. 
I have purchased a usb to RS485 to connect to the accessory cable provided by Uniden.
I have a UM435 vhf radio.
I have attempted to interface the OpenPlotter to the VHF radio.
I have followed a number of tutorials on how to connect and trouble shoot.

Here are the steps taken so far:
1. Updated all software on raspberry and openplotter.
2. Verified the gps and AIS is working on the raspberrry device.
3. Verified the polarity of the 2 wire connector on the USB to RS485.
4. Connected the accessory cable wires required. Green neg date in and Yellow pos data in.
5. Used Serial app on OpenPlotter to recognize and add new usb device. Used the Signal K connection. Set baud rate to 4800. NMEA ID vhfout. Sending RMC,GLL,GNS,GGA, and ZDA. 
6. Implemented the NMEA to NMEA* plugin in to route the GPS info to the vhfout. Restarted SignalK server.
7. Connected accessory cable to VHF radio. 
8. No GPS info appearing on VHF radio as per manual instruction.
Trouble shooting
I used the server log filtering and I am able to see vhfout information streaming by. 
used the terminal and used cat /dev/ttysOP_vhfout nothing showing up.
Is there anymore information I need to post?
Thanks in advance to all.
Kever

Messages In This Thread
Sending GPS info from OpenPlotter to VHF radio - by Kever - 2021-07-06, 04:45 PM