This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A beginner can manage it! - RPi3 + Sensehat
My setup:

[Image: OpenPlotter%20Headless.jpg?raw=1]

1. Raspberry Pi 3 in Shortcrust case
  2. Sensehat moved out of Shortcrust case with 2x20 pin ribbon cable (pulled GPIO connector block off of of bottom of Sensehat to allow correct connection)
  3. Downloaded 0.10.0 OP from the website & installed it
  4. Updated everything from the update tab in OP (Raspbian, OpenCPN, OP to 0.15.1)
  5. In OP ticked the Mag Heading, heel & pitch in the Compass tag
  6. In OP Added the listed sensors in the I2C tab
  7. In OP Tools > NMEA 0183 Generator > OpenCPN defaults
  8. In OpenCPN right click Dashboard > Preference: Add, Heel, Pitch
  9. Headless, VNC to Nexus 7 2012
  10. Signal K to 'phone
  11. I will scan my charts for Lisbon (or maybe make a copy stand for my SLR and then stitch photos) 
  12. I have bought John Thorn's MAPC2MAPC software to calibrate scans
  13. Just waiting for a GPS and a 12V -> 5V DC supply from Sailoog's site to complete
  14. I'm Superstitious
(2017-10-06, 09:58 AM)Leigh Wrote: My setup:

1. Raspberry Pi 3 in Shortcrust case
  2. Sensehat moved out of Shortcrust case with 2x20 pin ribbon cable (pulled GPIO connector block off of of bottom of Sensehat to allow correct connection)
  3. Downloaded 0.10.0 OP from the website & installed it
  4. Updated everything from the update tab in OP (Raspbian, OpenCPN, OP to 0.15.1)
  5. In OP ticked the Mag Heading, heel & pitch in the Compass tag
  6. In OP Added the listed sensors in the I2C tab
  7. In OP Tools > NMEA 0183 Generator > OpenCPN defaults
  8. In OpenCPN right click Dashboard > Preference: Add, Heel, Pitch
  9. Headless, VNC to Nexus 7 2012
  10. Signal K to 'phone
  11. I will scan my charts for Lisbon (or maybe make a copy stand for my SLR and then stitch photos) 
  12. I have bought John Thorn's MAPC2MAPC software to calibrate scans
  13. Just waiting for a GPS and a 12V -> 5V DC supply from Sailoog's site to complete
  14. I'm Superstitious

Looks great, well done!   Couple thoughts, I prefer using the opencpn android app, it's quicker than VNC and still uses all the wifi ais/gps etc data. There are 2 versions in the app store, the free one is old and not supported, the paid version is the real one, doesn't cost much.
Also, for charts have you looked at ge2kap ? Using that and sasplanet you can make charts from navionics. 

[Image: At1WmVy.png]
Thanks Paddy.

I have the free version of OpenCPN Android, will buy the one by Dave Register too.

Where can I find a tutorial about using ge2kap and sasplanet to make charts from navionics?
Especially sasplanet - I can't find anything not in Russian about sasplanet.

If I have OpenCPN Android then maybe the next step is to build a little system with a screen for down below.

Which screen is the best/easiest/cheapest best combination - is it the Official RPi 7" ?

Thanks again
The tutorials for GE2KAP are here: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AOZ2...19717DF71B
Just got my GPS from Saloog
Very easy to install - didnt need any drivers or anything Smile
Already scanned and callibrated my charts
Just need a display now
(2017-10-08, 04:09 AM)waterman480 Wrote: The tutorials for GE2KAP are here:  https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AOZ2...19717DF71B

Those might well be a bit out of date now apparently, the "step by step procedures" button should contain the latest help files.
(2017-10-12, 03:02 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-10-08, 04:09 AM)waterman480 Wrote: The tutorials for GE2KAP are here:  https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AOZ2...19717DF71B

Those might well be a bit out of date now apparently, the "step by step procedures" button should contain the latest help files.

A few pointers on using sasplanet would be appreciated ?
Ive used GE2KAP for GE harbour and anchorage images but a port plan capture would be useful as well 
Ive installed SASPlanet but cant see how to capture an image from the N. web app
[quote pid='3390' dateline='1508426328']

Ive used GE2KAP for GE harbour and anchorage images but a port plan capture would be useful as well 
Ive installed SASPlanet but cant see how to capture an image from the N. web app
[/quote]

SASPlanet KAPs and be created with ge2kap, you open up sasplanet, zoom to the area you and then in ge2kap select sasplanet from the dropdown menu for "overlay chart image"on the right. Then press create chart.
(2017-10-19, 06:46 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [quote pid='3390' dateline='1508426328']

SASPlanet KAPs and be created with ge2kap, you open up sasplanet, zoom to the area you and then in ge2kap select sasplanet from the dropdown menu for "overlay chart image"on the right. Then press create chart.
[/quote]

I dont see how to get the Navionics Web chart loaded into SASplanet. If I select base map of Marine,Navionics Marine Charts I just get an error.
Thanks for bearing with me
(2017-10-20, 08:24 AM)affinite Wrote:
(2017-10-19, 06:46 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [quote pid='3390' dateline='1508426328']

I dont see how to get the Navionics Web chart loaded into SASplanet. If I select base map of Marine,Navionics Marine Charts I just get an error.
Thanks for bearing with me
[/quote]

Ah, yes, I had to do something but can't remember exactly what now...

You could try this - remove the ".doc" of the atached file then unzip into ...../Maps/sas.maps/Marine

Attached Files
.doc   navionics.SonarChart2.zmp.zip.doc (Size: 2.39 KB / Downloads: 226)