This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunlight Readable Display
(2020-10-09, 04:11 PM)Jodel Wrote: Hi,
I notice various threads in the past on trying to get an affordable sunlight readable display ( at a reasonable price! Smile )
Has anyone cracked that problem yet?
Jodel

Hi Jodel, I have recently purchased a Digiwave HA-101ZIEBCAD1-V 10.1 inch projected capacitive touch 1280x800 HDMI LCD screen which cost around £220 with UK VAT and import duties (Thanks Brexit  Angry ) I think you can buy the same screen without UK taxes for around £160. It has a bonded screen and is daylight readable at 1250 Nits. It's actually so bright it almost hurts to look at it. It definitely works in bright sunlight. It will run on a Pi fine using the HDMI port but also make sure you buy the non-standard Digiwave USB lead for it as one end is a tiny connector that fits on the screens control circuit board. the other end is a standard USB connector and plugs into the Pi to enable touch. The USB lead is around £6. I am now trying to write a brightness slider control app for it that uses the GPIO PWM Pin 18. It works but when you close the slider the GPIO goes to zero and the backlight turns off. So if anyone knows how to keep the GPIO Pin 18 at the last set value until the Pi is powered down I would be glad to learn from them and happy to share the code for this very nice screen.
(2023-11-20, 07:46 PM)Hillzzz Wrote:
I notice various threads in the past on trying to get an affordable sunlight readable display ( at a reasonable price! Smile )
Jodel

Hi Jodel, I have recently purchased a Digiwave HA-101ZIEBCAD1-V 10.1 inch projected capacitive touch 1280x800 HDMI LCD screen which cost around £220 with UK VAT and import duties (Thanks Brexit  Angry ) I think you can buy the same screen without UK taxes for around £160. It has a bonded screen and is daylight readable at 1250 Nits. It's actually so bright it almost hurts to look at it. It definitely works in bright sunlight. It will run on a Pi fine using the HDMI port but also make sure you buy the non-standard Digiwave USB lead for it as one end is a tiny connector that fits on the screens control circuit board. the other end is a standard USB connector and plugs into the Pi to enable touch. The USB lead is around £6. I am now trying to write a brightness slider control app for it that uses the GPIO PWM Pin 18. It works but when you close the slider the GPIO goes to zero and the backlight turns off. So if anyone knows how to keep the GPIO Pin 18 at the last set value until the Pi is powered down I would be glad to learn from them and happy to share the code for this very nice screen.

Hi Hillzzz,
I googled "Digiwave HA-101ZIEBCAD1-V 10.1"  and couldn't find it.  Where did you buy it?
Jodel
Funny, I posted on this thread back in 2020, saying I didn’t have a screen like that. Then in November 2021, I bought a 15.6”, 1080P, sunlight readable (1000nit), optically bonded, anti glare, IP67 waterproof, touchscreen with an external dimmer. I just published a 2 year update on YT:

https://youtu.be/aEgnDA6py74?si=0xD2bATBA19y74fs
I can recommend the Sihovision. You can see it in the thread "7" REMOTE WATERPROOF DISPLAY". After near three years of outdoor use, is working perfectly
They have a wide range of models.
(2023-11-20, 08:10 PM)Jodel Wrote:
Jodel

Hi Hillzzz,
I googled "Digiwave HA-101ZIEBCAD1-V 10.1"  and couldn't find it.  Where did you buy it?
Jodel

Hi Jodel you can find it here https://www.soselectronic.com/en/product...1-v-378585
I bought a 10" touchscreen from https://www.touchtecs.com/
Contact is pauer@sztouchtec.com

Screen Size 10.1"
Display Resolution & Aspect Ratio 1280*800(16:10)
Touch Type Capacitive (Resistive Touch , Non-touch optional)
Contrast Ratio 600:1
Brightness (CD/㎡) 800 nits (Can customized up to 1000 nits)
Viewing Angles (CR =10) 85/85/85/85 (L/R/U/D)
Response Time(Typ.Tr+Tf) 6.5ms
Main I/O Interfaces 1*DC  (12-36V)
1*HDMI, Max support 1080P
1*VGA
1*DVI
1*RJ45 Touch Interface (defined as USB), connected with capacitive & resistive Touch
1*Audio
Operating Temperature Wide -20~70℃
Storage Temperature -20~70℃

I added the extra brightness option. 
From the supplier: "the high brightness monitor that you bought is the upgrade version (including high brightness & photosenstive function switch key, Industrial Terminal )"

Came with cables and 12v power adapter.
You will need a HDMI to micro-HDMI for the RPi.

Since the RPi and Touchscreen will be powered by the Sailboat 12v battery, I need to make a cable w/switch to replace the 115v Power Supply.
I just need a single 12v because the MacArthur Hat Power Board will take 12v and power the RPi.
If you don't have the MacArthur Hat & Power board, you will need 5v for the RP1 and 12v for the Touchscreen.

It also has VESA mounting holes.

It was not cheap after adding exchange, shipping & customs from China to Canada.
I bought 2 but the project was delayed as I worked on my boat... One of them is still unopened ;-)

I'm pretty sure this is the model:
https://www.touchtecs.com/industrial-tou...-size.html

If you email pauer, mention the sailboat application. I don't get any commission, I'm just trying to reduce the frustrating back-and-forth to communicate.
(2023-11-20, 10:05 PM)Hillzzz Wrote:
Jodel

Hi Hillzzz,
Jodel

Hi Jodel you can find it here https://www.soselectronic.com/en/product...1-v-378585

Hi Hillzzz,

Did you ever find an answer to the dimmer issue? I've just ordered the screen and would love to set up external dimmer control.

Thanks,
Fraser
(2024-03-20, 01:19 PM)fjj Wrote:
Jodel

Hi Hillzzz,
Jodel

Hi Hillzzz,

Did you ever find an answer to the dimmer issue? I've just ordered the screen and would love to set up external dimmer control.

Thanks,
Fraser

Hi Fraser, If it's an external dimmer you want like a potentiometer knob style dimmer then all you need is a simple circuit that goes from zero to 3 volts with a potentiometer to control the voltage. If you look at the PDF circuit specs you will see the connector which controls brightness. I want to do it in software and i haven't found a solution yet. Cheers, H.
(2024-03-20, 06:42 PM)Hillzzz Wrote:
(2023-11-20, 07:46 PM)Hillzzz Wrote: Hi Jodel, I have recently purchased a Digiwave HA-101ZIEBCAD1-V 10.1 inch projected capacitive touch 1280x800 HDMI LCD screen which cost around £220 with UK VAT and import duties (Thanks Brexit  Angry ) I think you can buy the same screen without UK taxes for around £160. It has a bonded screen and is daylight readable at 1250 Nits. It's actually so bright it almost hurts to look at it. It definitely works in bright sunlight. It will run on a Pi fine using the HDMI port but also make sure you buy the non-standard Digiwave USB lead for it as one end is a tiny connector that fits on the screens control circuit board. the other end is a standard USB connector and plugs into the Pi to enable touch. The USB lead is around £6. I am now trying to write a brightness slider control app for it that uses the GPIO PWM Pin 18. It works but when you close the slider the GPIO goes to zero and the backlight turns off. So if anyone knows how to keep the GPIO Pin 18 at the last set value until the Pi is powered down I would be glad to learn from them and happy to share the code for this very nice screen.

Hi Hillzzz,
Jodel

Hi Hillzzz,

Thanks,
Fraser

Hi Fraser, If it's an external dimmer you want like a potentiometer knob style dimmer then all you need is a simple circuit that goes from zero to 3 volts with a potentiometer to control the voltage. If you look at the PDF circuit specs you will see the connector which controls brightness. I want to do it in software and i haven't found a solution yet. Cheers, H.

Hi Hillzzz, 

I was looking at software control too. I came across two issues - the one that you mentioned with the brightness going to zero after quitting the app, and another where there was terrible flicker at lower brightness levels. I resolved the flicker issue using PIGPIO, as it uses hardware PWM timing. It should also resolve your issue as there is a daemon that runs, so the setting should stay on until the power is off. I've implemented a service to listen for the GUI app and change the PWM duty cycle. I've just got a very basic Python tkinter slider to change the brightness. The service starts on boot using systemd.

I'm essentially building a self-contained plotter for use in the open cockpit, so far this screen is looking great.

Thanks,
Fraser
(2024-03-26, 02:44 PM)fjj Wrote:
(2024-03-20, 06:42 PM)Hillzzz Wrote:
(2023-11-20, 08:10 PM)Jodel Wrote: Hi Hillzzz,
Jodel

Hi Hillzzz,

Thanks,
Fraser

Hi Hillzzz, 

I was looking at software control too. I came across two issues - the one that you mentioned with the brightness going to zero after quitting the app, and another where there was terrible flicker at lower brightness levels. I resolved the flicker issue using PIGPIO, as it uses hardware PWM timing. It should also resolve your issue as there is a daemon that runs, so the setting should stay on until the power is off. I've implemented a service to listen for the GUI app and change the PWM duty cycle. I've just got a very basic Python tkinter slider to change the brightness. The service starts on boot using systemd.

I'm essentially building a self-contained plotter for use in the open cockpit, so far this screen is looking great.

Thanks,
Fraser

HI Fraser,

Thats really interesting. I stopped looking at the software side for a bit because I am currently designing a 3D printed box to put the screen and Pi in that will be attached to the helm station. I looked at Navipods and similar and could not understand why a plastic box cost more than the screen and Pi together. I will shortly get ack to the software side so thanks very much for your pointers. very helpful.

Thanks, Hillzzz,