This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi Dongle for second WiFi device
Ah that rings a bell! I had that I'm sure, let me consult my notes.

Do you have GB set up as the wifi country in the Raspberry Pi Localisation page?

What is in the file /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ?
(2021-08-14, 11:36 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Ah that rings a bell! I had that I'm sure, let me consult my notes.

Do you have GB set up as the wifi country in the Raspberry Pi Localisation page?

What is in the file /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ?

Ok,
So just to update you I have tried a fresh install of OpenPlotter and, even before I update (apart from changing the pi and wifi passwords) the symptom is just the same.

You asked about wifi country. I tried to update this and did not receive any error message but on exiting Raspberry Pi configuration and opening again it still shows as <not set>.

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf contains:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev

update_config=1
I don't understand why the WiFi country can't be set. You're logged in as the user pi I assume.

What happens if you add the line
country=GB underneath update_config=1 in wpa_supplicant.conf and then check the localisation? Might need a reboot I think.

update_config=1
country=GB <<<<<< add this
(2021-08-14, 12:54 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: I don't understand why the WiFi country can't be set. You're logged in as the user pi I assume.

What happens if you add the line
country=GB underneath update_config=1 in wpa_supplicant.conf and then check the localisation? Might need a reboot I think.

update_config=1
country=GB  <<<<<< add this

Yes, logged on as pi
line added to wpa_supplicant.conf and rebooted.

The raspberry pi configuration still shows wlan country  <not set> and this still cannot be updated.
Well I don't understand that at all.

I have just downloaded OP v2 starter image and done a brand new install with the USB dongle installed from the start. I did a sudo raspi-config>System Operations>Wireless LAN, set up the wifi country. I was able to use both wlan0 and wlan1 without a problem.

Are you using the same image or the NOOBS variant?

And trying to set the wifi country through:

Preferences>Raspberry Pi configuration>Localisation>Set Wifi Country
and
sudo raspi-config>Localisation Options>WLAN Country

both fail to set the value GB?
I am using the headless image using r pi installed on my windows pc, not noobs.

I have only tried the gui version of raspberry pi configuration. I’ll try the command line / terminal with sudo next
(2021-08-14, 04:02 PM)Paul M Wrote: I am using the headless image using r pi installed on my windows pc, not noobs.

I have only tried the gui version of raspberry pi configuration. I’ll try the command line / terminal with sudo next

I am running mine headless too but using VNC. I'll download the same image as you and will give it a go.
(2021-08-14, 04:02 PM)Paul M Wrote: I am using the headless image using r pi installed on my windows pc, not noobs.

I tried sudo raspi-config >system options> wirless LAN with the result:

Could not communicate with wpa_supplicant<ok>

There was an error running option S1 Wireless LAN<ok>

and also similar for localisation settings:
There was an error running option L4 WLAN Country
p.s. I'm doing this from a local login, even though I have the headless install, could this be the issue?
(2021-08-14, 04:14 PM)Paul M Wrote:

OK Paul give me a while to try the headless image.
(2021-08-14, 04:16 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote:
(2021-08-14, 04:14 PM)Paul M Wrote:

OK Paul give me a while to try the headless image.
many thanks for this.