This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loading charts into RAM RPi4 8g
Given how slow the OpenCPN Pi solution is, while having multiple ENC charts open, is there a way to load a region of charts into RAM ...outside of OpenCPN, to speed things up?  How would OpenCPN see the temp RAM directory?

Been trying all the suggestions on this, and other sites, for days with no real headway... so at the point of stopping my PI4 project and just buy a Wiindows PC.

thoughts?  Also, to save time I used HTOP and clearly the processors are maxed out with more than one ENC open.  Even a tiny one like Jacksonville, FL, while dragging around.

Also, if someone has a Pi solution with say 10+ ENC charts open and very smooth scrolling I would love to see a video and of course the settings! ;-)

Thanks,
Obviously, I missed the mark with the post. I thought a temp RAM drive would help with chart loading speed but with 53 views and no responses, I was not clear in my 'ask' for help. Having 40 years in tech I've seen this done at scale to speed up constrained resource terminals.

No worries as I just went to an SSD, which would be my "required' guidance to really use OpenCPN effectively.

Thanks for the views anyway.