This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Ideas
Hello,

I have recently purchased a new boat that has a worm drive for the rudder.  I have been trying to come up with a design for the autopilot.   The worm drive has a wheel with a shaft that runs between the legs of the helmsman and under the seat.  The only designs I can think of would be to use a motor to drive a belt to the wheel or to run ropes to a spool on the wheel.  My preferred design would be to mount a wiper motor with a belt pulley out of sight and make use of an electromagnetic clutch.  I have watched the Pypilot video for the steel boat and it is the concept I would like but I do not see a clutch in that video.  I also do not see a belt tensioner that can be used to disconnect the autopilot. 

I was thinking of using an air conditioning compressor clutch from a car but it has a large pulley.  The motor would require a smaller pulley.  I have searched the internet far and wide for a suitable solution but everything seems to fall short.  I am sure I could adapt something but I would prefer a clutch that could attach directly to the wiper motor shaft.  There isn't much room inside the seat compartment and because it is a traditional style boat, I would prefer that it be out of sight.  Otherwise I might need to build a teak box for it. 

Has anyone had this issue?  What are people using to disconnect the autopilot when they have wheel steering  Are there any good belt tensioners with a handle that might be more suitable.

Below are pictures.

All ideas are appreciated.