OpenMarine

Full Version: Clutch Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have recently purchased a new boat that has a worm drive for the rudder.  I have been trying to come up with a design for the autopilot.   The worm drive has a wheel with a shaft that runs between the legs of the helmsman and under the seat.  The only designs I can think of would be to use a motor to drive a belt to the wheel or to run ropes to a spool on the wheel.  My preferred design would be to mount a wiper motor with a belt pulley out of sight and make use of an electromagnetic clutch.  I have watched the Pypilot video for the steel boat and it is the concept I would like but I do not see a clutch in that video.  I also do not see a belt tensioner that can be used to disconnect the autopilot. 

I was thinking of using an air conditioning compressor clutch from a car but it has a large pulley.  The motor would require a smaller pulley.  I have searched the internet far and wide for a suitable solution but everything seems to fall short.  I am sure I could adapt something but I would prefer a clutch that could attach directly to the wiper motor shaft.  There isn't much room inside the seat compartment and because it is a traditional style boat, I would prefer that it be out of sight.  Otherwise I might need to build a teak box for it. 

Has anyone had this issue?  What are people using to disconnect the autopilot when they have wheel steering  Are there any good belt tensioners with a handle that might be more suitable.

Below are pictures.

All ideas are appreciated.[attachment=2523][attachment=2524]